HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Sony Walkman mp3 player goes blank!!!!!!!

by TeamBravo1 / August 5, 2009 2:48 AM PDT

I have an 8gb Sony Walkman mp3 player (NWZ-E438F) that is driving me nuts!!!! I turn my mp3 player on and it loads rather quickly, which surprises me (considering I have over 1500 on it from Rhapsody Music Service). When the main screen comes up, I go to the music library option. After I click on it, I get the message, "No songs available for playback. Please connect to complianent software or device and transfer songs." I connect it to the computer, and I see that all of my memory is still used up and the songs are still there. I disconnect and I find the same problem. This the SECOND Sony Walkman that I've had with the same problem (I exchanged for the same model thinking I had a defective unit). I have gone round and round with Rhapsody deleting and restoring my library numerous times and it's driving me nuts to constantly delete and reload all 1500 songs. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix? Please Help!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Walkman mp3 player goes blank!!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Walkman mp3 player goes blank!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe...
by puzzler995 / August 7, 2009 3:08 AM PDT

You have the music saved on your computer, correct? If so, try resetting your device completely and re-syncing it with Rhapsody. I had the old Sony Walkman, when they used Sonic Stage, and LOVED it. I would still have it if they hadnt closed the Connect store! I was actually thinking of getting the one you have, but I decided to go with the iPod Touch (even though it lack the FM Tuner I loved). Hope this helps!!!

Collapse -
RE: Sony Walkman mp3 player goes blank!!!!!!!
by gurupeter / October 18, 2009 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe...

How do you do a full reset? All that sticking a pin in the reset does is reboot the device. It does not clear the memory like I would expect. Any ideas?

Thx

Collapse -
another thing to consider...
by ktreb / August 8, 2009 6:09 AM PDT

I'm guessing since you use Rhapsody that your music consists of subscription tracks. Make sure your player's license hasn't expired. Reathorize it. If that doesn't work, deauthorize, then format it using tools on your player (do NOT use Windows to format!!!), then try authorizing and transfer over again. I've had some wonkiness with Rhapsody in the past. I'm considering abandoning subscription music altogether, since I have a large library already and rarely use Rhapsody.

Collapse -
Format does the trick
by phunkee / April 24, 2010 2:35 AM PDT

Woke up this morning with the same issue. No tracks to playback, yet when plugged into computer no file structure existed.

Well the fine peepz at Sony customer support walked through.

Common Settings > Format - will reset walkman to original status. worked perfectly!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.