HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Sony Walkman mp3 player DOESN'T WORK

by SonyReset / September 17, 2009 12:16 PM PDT

I've had this mp3 player for awhile, and Sonic Stage stopped working so I removed it from my computer. I was stuck with the songs I had on my mp3 player, and they worked fine. Today I had the idea of just clicking and dragging files to my mp3 player's "Music" folder from My Computer. It seemed to work, and I deleted all my old songs off the mp3 player. I then unplugged my mp3 player from my computer, and tried to play the songs. "FILE ERROR" showed up on the screen and all the songs and artists were "Unknown." I searched (the magnifying glass) by both artist and song and all of my old music files were listed, but when I selected one to play, the artist and song were both "Unknown" and "FILE ERROR" showed up again. I've tried quite a few times to reset it, even held the reset button down for over 30 seconds but nothing has happened and the new songs don't show up on it, even though, when I plug it into the computer, I can play songs from the mp3 player's music folder on my computer. It shows that they are there. I don't know what's wrong and would rather not get a new one. Is it hopeless? If I can just find out how to reset it, I will be happy. It's a NW-E002BC Walkman.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Walkman mp3 player DOESN'T WORK
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Walkman mp3 player DOESN'T WORK
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At least Sony have learned
by fihart / September 18, 2009 12:43 AM PDT

They've stopped locking their new models to horrid iTunes-type software. But if you have an older one, I'm afraid you're stuck -- suggest downloading latest version from Sony site if you don't have the original CD that came with the player.

Collapse -
Hello sonyreset
by rodshifter / September 20, 2009 5:24 AM PDT

I also have a Sony MP3 player and from what I know, you can only "import" MP3s and WMA songs via Sonic Stage (S.S.) because it (S.S.)converts the songs into a different format (to monopolize) similar with i-tunes.
Of course, you can import MP3s from your computer to your Sony MP3, this way, it functions just like an ordinary USB/thumb drive and not an MP3 player, you can also play it because the files you recently stored in your Sony MP3 (now as USB) are compatible to your PC. But they are not compatible with your Sony Mp3.

Now the question is, what happened with your Sonic Stage SW? it stopped working? Have you tried re-installing it again? Try updating your Sonic Stage SW (if it is old). Currently the version is 4.3.
Visit this link to D.L. the latest S.S. software:
http://support.sony-europe.com/dna/downloads/downloads.aspx?&f=sstage_dl

Good luck!

Collapse -
Sony WALKMAN not working
by tbbyolumba / June 30, 2011 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello sonyreset

The WALKMAN was starting up, but I can't see creating library. On my computer, what should I do to fix this problem?

Collapse -
Happy with my NWZ A845. Nearly.
by Aditya1973 / July 15, 2011 10:08 PM PDT

I have an NWZ A845 Walkman. I am pretty OK with my Walkman. I only wish I could expand the memory to 120 GB. Is this possible? I only want the best mp3 player only for music, and this Walkman is it. As a plus, it comes with a great screen, which I only use to see the details of the album/songs, though one can watch HD(?) video. I pretty much like my Walkman very much, except for the memory. Please advise about maximum memory extention, if possible.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.