TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Sony Walkman FM/AM cassette player not working part2

by baydaver / June 15, 2014 12:39 PM PDT

(I had to redo this posting,,I had tried to add a photo of the Walkman and when I did post it..all I saw were numbers and letters..no pic Ive asked the Mod' to delete it).
here it is again---
Hello everyone, Im hoping that someone maybe able to give me good ADVICE.
My 16 year old son recently was given this old 1990
Sony 'Walkman' FM/AM WM-F2015 Radio Cassette Player from his Grandparents.

He likes it a whole lot. The radio works just fine BUT the cassette player doesn't budge one bit when we try playing a cassette tape.
I wanted to open it up to see what was wrong with it but I had no idea as to how I could do that.Dont want to break it....I HOPE someone can help me..Id love to fix this for my son! (He loves vintage stuff)
Thank you all!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Walkman FM/AM cassette player not working part2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Walkman FM/AM cassette player not working part2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Walkman research
by baydaver / June 15, 2014 9:39 PM PDT

I spent quite a while doing some online research on 'how to' do what i was asking here....nothing relevant as yet.

Collapse -
It's already broken.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2014 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Walkman research

At least the cassette part. No online documents old school areas such as cleaning and getting parts moving again and even I can't write a long enough document to teach old world skill areas like this. That is, in today's world you replace parts that don't work instead of cleaning and getting the parts to move. Some folk explode over this.
Bob

Collapse -
Hello Bob-once again
by baydaver / June 17, 2014 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: It's already broken.

Thank you for your insight. I am from that 'old-school' mentality in which repairing things that you own should be tried and done.
Unfortunately, in this 21st century we live,
most of the time its impossible to dissemble, repair and reassemble--anything anymore.
Nothing is made to 'last forever' anymore.
I guess Ill just have to let my son know that the Walkman cant be repaired-cassette wise.
Gosh, I remember when I was at HIS AGE and younger, I took it upon myself to LEARN how to fix things and it was VERY feasible to do .

Thanks again Bob!

Collapse -
I didn't write it wasn't worth trying.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2014 3:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello Bob-once again

I failed to convey that old school cleaning methods such as tuner cleaner and lubricate sprays then all the little tech tips about keeping the oils off the capstan (if folk ask what a capstan is, they may be ready to explode?), pulleys and rubber band things. Gears seem to like lubricates but the goal is same as it was since the iron age. Dilute the dried up stuff, lubricate the moving parts, get things rotating.

I'm sure this is not on the web. Lost tech lore at this point.
Bob

Collapse -
Why bother w/ cassettes?
by Pepe7 / June 17, 2014 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello Bob-once again

A simple MP3 player for $20 has a lot more utility for a 16 year old and not moving parts to deal with.

I understand the 'old school' mentality, but truth be told, sometimes we all have to pick our battles Wink

Collapse -
(NT) I have a collection of audio cassettes already!
by Askari6183 / August 11, 2014 4:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hang onto them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2014 4:08 AM PDT

While I doubt they will reach the value of 8 tracks, you can keep them and play them on replacement players, the tech lore of cassette drive service is moving to a lost art.

-> The good news is a collection of the lore is at http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_audiofaq2.html
Bob

Collapse -
Walkman woes
by Askari6183 / August 14, 2014 7:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Hang onto them.

Thanks for the link my first problem is separating the case. with a fine blade between front and back at the tuner end, I can see what appears to a catch but at the label end I cannot see any gap.
I do not want to brutalize it.
As with previous post by (baydaver). How do I get into the gubbins!

Collapse -
Label?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2014 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Walkman woes

One of the old bits of lore is that under labels were screw heads. It was always a shame to deface the product like that but hey, it's broke so labels are expendable.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!