HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony vs Samsung

by penti01 / October 17, 2007 12:57 AM PDT

I'm considering buying a new 32in LCD TV... i found two that i really like: a Sony and a Samsung... the Sony was much more expensive but with a price discount, I can get it for $60 less than the Samsung. I know that reviews say that Samsungs are better but considering that the price is no longer a factor, would the Sony be better? CNet has no Sony 32in reviews...

BTW, they both have the same specs: 720p, 8000:1, HDMI, etc

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony vs Samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony vs Samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Didn't you answer your own question?
by Dan Filice / October 17, 2007 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony vs Samsung

You stated "I know the reviews say that Samsung are better." Buy the Samsung.

Personally, I would buy a Sony, but that's just because I've helped two relatives install Samsungs, and besides the fact that they both had technical problems, I liked the menus and remotes on the Sonys better. I bougtht a Sony LCD for my bedroom and it's been great.

Collapse -
Your question is...
by stuntman_mike / October 17, 2007 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony vs Samsung

is too broad. In general I would say that the newer Samsung LCDs are better than the newer Sony models. Having viewed the XBR4 and the Samsung 71F series side by side, both hooked up to a stand alone Blu-ray player via HDMI, playing a Blu-ray movie, I can honestly say that it is no contest. The Samsung was in another league. But these are top of the line 46" models. This does not mean that the 32" models that you are comparing will yield the same results. Without knowing the model #'s it would be impossible to say which is better. I know you said they have the same specs, but lots of TVs have the same specs and still perform differently. Samsung has recently become the king of LCDs, so depending on how old the models are that you are looking at, the Sony may or may not be better.

This may sound snobbish but if you are getting a 32" TV, price might be the reason that you are going so small. If that is the case, without knowing the models in question, I would say that you would be better off going with the cheaper one. You will still be getting a TV from one of the two best LCD manufacturers out there. And at 32", if I can be so smug lol, dare I say the slight picture differences between the two sets will not be a major factor anyway. So why drive yourself crazy.

If you have the budget and space, I would suggest getting at least a 50" set if you plan to watch movies and you sit a normal distance from the screen. 32" is really tiny. It becomes about a 27" when you watch a movie with letterbox bars on the screen. And yes, a widescreen TV will still display many movies with letter box bars. Movie widescreen and TV widescreen are two different things.

Good luck

Collapse -
sorry...
by penti01 / October 18, 2007 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Your question is...

what I simply meant in my question is if the review ratings should change due to the change in price... if you look at almost all the Sony reviews, Cons would always have Expensive, if t\the price would drop, maybe the ratings would match those of Samsungs... either way, thanks for the reply... The reason I'm getting a 32" is because it's gonna be in my small bedroom, and going up to 40" would jump the price from $1200 (of the 32") to $4000 (of the 40") in my place... I could buy a 42" for around $1200+ but the brand isn't all that good, AOC if any of you heard about it... any inputs though if you have?

Collapse -
Maybe try this
by Dan Filice / October 19, 2007 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: sorry...

Maybe try to find the older Sony WEGA 32". It's not their XBR, but I found it better than the Bravia, primarily because the WEGA came with a much deeper menu of options than the Bravia to adjust color, etc. I'm not comparing it to the latest Bravia, I mean last years or earlier that were 720p TVs. If you can find one, I'd bet you can buy a 32" for $1100. At 32", you don't need 1080p. And any TV with HDMI will take a 1080p input from an XBOX or PS3, but it will convert the signal to 720p or 1080i, which isn't a bad thing.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.