Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony Video 8 Handycam Analog CCD-TR71

My Sony analog video camera is almost 13 years old. I've been converting all the old analog Video 8 tapes to my Sony DVR to DVD tapes when the unit stopped working with 13 tapes to go. Just wondering how I can transfer these remaining tapes to my Sony DVR RDR HX900 to put on DVD without fixing this CCD-TR71 unit. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Video 8 Handycam Analog CCD-TR71
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Video 8 Handycam Analog CCD-TR71
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ebay or rent...

In reply to: Sony Video 8 Handycam Analog CCD-TR71

Look for an ebay or rental to finish the job.

Bob

Collapse -
Same problem

I have the same problem so if you but a used Video 8 let me know and I will but it from you when you are finished.

Collapse -
Siny Video 8 Handycam Analog CCD-TR71

Hey, I am glad I found you folks !.

I have a old TR71 that works intermittently. I was transferring my old videos to tape using a friends didgicamorder. I used tne TR71 to rewind my tapes and transfer with the new one.

Last night, the TR71 refused to eject a tape and it is stuck. I cannot find my manual to see if there is any manual release, but did anyone know how to release the eject so I can get the tape.

If everything fails, I plan on taking it to Sony Service to get it out. The tape is valuable.

Thanks
VanRags

Collapse -
The last time, a butter knife.

In reply to: Siny Video 8 Handycam Analog CCD-TR71

The word finagle seems to apply.

Collapse -
Sony TR71

In reply to: The last time, a butter knife.

So, you use a butter knife to pry it open ?. Can you please explain how exactly to do it ?.

What did you mean by "finagle" ?.

Thanks
VR

Collapse -
I finagled it.

In reply to: Sony TR71

Please take this word to google.com but in short I wiggled what would wiggle and pried gently what could be pried. Eventually it opened. It was a nonissue about worrying about breaking the camcorder since it was broken.

Bob

Collapse -
Plug it in

I had a similiar problem and I left the camera pluged in over night and in the morning I was able to open it and get the film out...it only worked once. Do not know why but it worked. Good luck

Collapse -
Video transfers with TR71 lost audio

I'm in a similar predicament. I'm in the midst of transfering my 8mm tapes to DVD. Have about 12 more to go, including some precious memories of my precious little dog who no longer with us.
I losted the AUDIO right in the middle of a cassette transfer. I tried other tapes... NONE play with audio. I changed cables. I checked settings. Yes, it's on the green Hi-Fi for sound.

Can anyone suggest any other possibilities. I dread having to buy another 8mm in order to get my videos transfered. And don't want to spend anymore for repairs on this one.... However, I must have the videos. So what would be the best suggestion? Thank you for anyone's help....
Know anyone I can rent from????

Collapse -
Sony Video8 HandyCam use CCD-TR71

In reply to: Video transfers with TR71 lost audio

Yes, I am copying old tapes to DVD and have found that the sound quality is lagging. Some tapes are worse than others. I was advised to try a head cleaning tape to improve the sound but don't know where to get one. Can it be done with a cotton swab? Note to a fellow about connections: I bought new cables when I started the project and found the pin to be too long to fit the connectors on the camera so I just cut them off short and have had better luck since then.

Collapse -
Video Transfer audio is lost with TR71

In reply to: Video transfers with TR71 lost audio

Hi Jazznme,
I have the same problem with my audio. My Mother who is no longer with us is on all the videos and it would be nice to hear her voice. My kids are all over the videos of course and there is NO AUDIO! Have you found any answers to the question? I'm just wondering because I can't figure it out either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
So far I find the answer to be as in the answers here.

In reply to: Video Transfer audio is lost with TR71

It's usually unacceptable to some but trying other camcorders, players and finally paying for transfer seems to work even 20+ years later. This camera shipped in 1992 and you still find them kicking around Ebay. For those that don't want to try other camcorders then video transfer companies would be best.

Collapse -
copy 8 MM to DVD

Hi, Could you tell me how you can copy my old *MM to a DVD? Thanks, Charlie West I am useing the sony CCD-TR71

Collapse -
Sony Video 8 Handycam Analog CCD-TR71

In reply to: copy 8 MM to DVD

I am using an Encore USB Audio/Video Grabber. Easy to use on computers/laptops.

Collapse -
SELL me a used video 8 camera

I have the same transfer issue as well. What happened to R. Proffitt buying the camera and Skismuggs buying it from him? Did that ever happen and skismuggs... are you looking to sell it again perhaps?

Collapse -
my problem is horizontal lines on playback

I had this camera repaired by sony and it worked for about 2 months until when I wanted to play the tapes back in the camera I am getting horizontal lines. Does anyone know how to get rid of the lines and get a picture?
All my tapes are useless also if I cannot get rid of this problem when I transfer to dvd

Collapse -
When I see this I try another player.

In reply to: my problem is horizontal lines on playback

I know some want to embark on their new career in camcorder repair but if cleaning does not help or any reset or such I look for another camcorder to play the content for the last time.

Collapse -
what camcorder will play the tr71 8mm tapes

In reply to: When I see this I try another player.

Someone said a digital 8 camcorder will play the old 8mm cassettes tapes from the tr71

Collapse -
It might.

In reply to: what camcorder will play the tr71 8mm tapes

But so far I try cleaning the heads, look for any reset or tracking button as well as trying it through the vcr or such then I hit ebay.

Collapse -
too bad there is no reset

In reply to: It might.

Wish there was one. I tried cleaning the heads but to no avail.
i just wish someone out there could tell me what camera to buy on ebay that would play these tapes without having to pay too much for one that would not work

Collapse -
When I have to do this I get the same model.

In reply to: too bad there is no reset

Usually I ask around to see if anyone has one to load first.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.