Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sony Viao recovery disk(s) won't work?

by MDLAWMAN / September 16, 2008 3:42 AM PDT

I'm attempting a clean install...(every time I attempt to access the internet explorer..it automatically pops up a box to downlaod a file and asks if the source is safe)...so I want to start from scratch..I backed up my data...re-boot the computer w/ the 1st Sony Viao recovery disk and I get this......"Cannot normally execute the initial setting of partition information. This utility exists and your computer is re-booted". It the starts up normaly but still have the same problem w/ access internet. No other problems w/ system or programs. All internet connections are enabled. I just want to format the hard drive and re-load the original stuff! Anyone have any ideas??

System:
2003 Sony Viao
Windows Xp

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Viao recovery disk(s) won't work?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Viao recovery disk(s) won't work?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the CD/DVD drive set to boot first?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 5:00 AM PDT

Often it's not.

Other ideas.

a. duplicate that CD. Try the freshly made copy.
b. put in a new cd/dvd drive. CHEAP compared to any service counter some drives lose their boot ability over the years.
Bob

Collapse -
CD Drive boots up first..but
by MDLAWMAN / September 17, 2008 3:17 AM PDT

Still get the message: "Cannot normally execute the initial setting of partition information. This utility exists and your computer is re-booted".

Collapse -
Reloading
by helljack6 / September 17, 2008 3:45 AM PDT

Unless i'm mistaken, there's a process that you have to go through to properly restore the Sony Vaios, I believe it's F11 from the inital BIOS screen at boot up.

Are you using a restore disk or is it a disk that has the Windows XP Operating system on it that came with the computer. Either way make sure the disk you're using is capable of installing Windows.

Also, what you're describing sounds like a read partition error. Meaning that the information on the 1st partition that directs the system to run the restore process is damaged/corrupted. If that's the case, doing a simple restore with the restore disk is out. You'll have to find an OEM version of the Operating sysem to reinstall and then use the OEM product key on your system to reactive the software. You can't use a Volume key version or a retail version because the product keys are different.

Finally, if you're starting over, if you can get to the internet from a different machine, Download BCWipePD or DBAN (google it) and burn to disk. These programs take advantage of specific reformating standards that make virus/infection survival during a reformat nill. Also a very good way to ensure that the drive is clean due to the number of passes each one makes (anywhere between 7 and 35 passes over your drive, or you can even designate how many passes to make).

Collapse -
Test the hard disk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2008 12:09 PM PDT

"Cannot normally execute the initial setting of partition information." at google.com finds people with failed hard disks. It looks like your machine is certainly old enough for a failed hard disk.

I don't know what hard disk make and model you have so try http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/diag.htm
Bob

Collapse -
No one has been able to solve this
by Norden1199 / August 24, 2009 12:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Test the hard disk.

I have a Sony Vaio PCV RX 670 and it's a great machine but I keep getting the "cannot execute the initial setting of partition information. I have the original 80GB HDD and tried it with that and get the message. I have a current 160 GB HDD that I get the same message and I have a new 750 GB HDD that I'm trying to install with factory settings and get the same message.

Back in 2002 when I bought this PC, I remember hearing that the only problem with Sony was that you could not add any hardware without Sony doing it. (Something like that.) Well I've added a sound card, video card and changed two HDDs and thought what I heard was not correct. But now I am begining to think that what they meant was that you could not do a system recovery, if you added new hardware. I have it all but can't find my original sound card.

what do you think?

Collapse -
Having solved it too many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2009 10:30 PM PDT

There is an issue of replacing hard drives with larger than the original. FOR EXAMPLE if the version of XP is just "XP" then installs fail with drives over 127GB. That is NOT A BUG!

And I see that while you have the original 80GB I wonder if you tried running DBAN (see google) to wipe all connected drives clean. Here's why. If we format a drive prior to install we can evoke that error message.
Bob

Collapse -
Viao recovery disk won't work
by silentlyamong / July 11, 2011 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Test the hard disk.

I've used the VIAO recovery disks at least four times a year for the past eight years. I used to get the "cannot normally execute the inital setting of partition messages and have tried a lot of ways to get around it. Finally I read another review and tried it. It works every time and it's so simple. I changed from the 80gb hard drive to a 500gb hard drive, setting the partition at 125/325. I've had at one time also an old 30 gb hard drive when the 80 failed. The message kept popping up. What i learned was to "safley remove all hardware including external hard drives, printers, raid utilities and everything else USB related including the magic jack. After 12 tried when I did this the VIAO setup screen came right up and with no problems.. Even if you completely erase your hard drive previously, it does not matter. There is no so called ghost image to guide VIAO into the recovery mode. You do not have to partition the hard drive if you don't want. The only thing the partition does is to have a load drive for the Giga Packet files. Giga Packet will not work on a single drive.. So the VIAO recovery dicks do work, but the are sensitiove to anything around them. aking the two hours it takes to recover and reload your system twice a year is good cost free maintenence. Plus Windows updates will put all the updates back within a week, including service paks 2 & 3. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Great post - worked by physically removing the USB connects
by valjmiller / November 9, 2011 4:27 AM PST

Thank you so much for your post! Very helpful. The only addition I would make is that you have to physically remove all devices that are connected to USB as well. Just using the "safely remove" functionality won't do it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.