Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Sony viao pcg-k45 Laptop HDD.

by 3ntity / January 12, 2010 5:24 AM PST

I have a sony viao pcg-k45 laptop; the hard drive crapped out on me a few months ago, someone linked me to a HDD for it, http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...548&CatId=2675 .

Not really looking to spend 50 dollars for a hard drive, anyone know where i can get a cheaper one? Ive looked on ebay but i really don't know exactly what to look for and the prices seem just as high.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony viao pcg-k45 Laptop HDD.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony viao pcg-k45 Laptop HDD.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So a dead link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 5:39 AM PST

Too bad you didn't supply the size and interface for others to comment.

-> Try newegg.com and geeks.com next.

Ebay to me is a dead end when you buy broken things.
Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by 3ntity / January 12, 2010 7:09 AM PST
In reply to: So a dead link?

80GB, 2.5", EIDE.

Collapse -
RE:RE
by 3ntity / January 12, 2010 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: RE:
Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

Geeks.ocm was about 80 with shipping. Did you research newegg.com?

Collapse -
by 3ntity / January 12, 2010 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: You're right.

The cheapest ive found was 55 dollars plus shipping but that's still a bit much.

Collapse -
Weird.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: ....
Collapse -
by 3ntity / January 12, 2010 9:26 AM PST
In reply to: Weird.

Yeah but I didn't really know what I was looking for, that's a notebook HD, would it work on her laptop? It's also an open box deal and idk how i feel about buying open box from them, ive heard some pretty bad stories about ppl buying open box items from them. I guess it might be worth a shot though if i could be assured that it'll work with her laptop, 35 for a 160 GB is way better than 55 for an 80 GB. I also gotta worry about having the drivers handy; especially for an open box HD, so it can be properly tested. Too bad i couldn't find somewhere to download the drivers instead of having to send Sony 20 dollars for them.

Collapse -
Deactivated Item
by 3ntity / January 12, 2010 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: Weird.

It's also now showing up an Deactivated Item.

Collapse -
It was fine when I looked first.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: Deactivated Item

Sadly, laptop or notebook hard drive. Ouch I can see where people could get confused.

I see the choices have indeed dropped from 2 to 1.

Given the rather fluid nature of geeks.com, newegg.com and such you may have act faster.
Bob

Collapse -
AMAZON 30 bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: Deactivated Item
Collapse -
by 3ntity / January 12, 2010 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: AMAZON 30 bucks.

it was gone when i refreshed the page lol! The amazon one seems like a good deal too, good enough for now anyway.

Collapse -
by 3ntity / January 13, 2010 12:32 AM PST
In reply to: AMAZON 30 bucks.

So will that HD on amazon even work with the sony pcg-k45 laptop?

Collapse -
At this point.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: ...........

You may want to have it serviced.

I can only note there are sizes and interfaces and suggested models that fit and connect. But to go so far as to tell you it will work means I have to predict the future. Sorry about that. I can't tell you anything more than it's the right shape size and connection.
Bob

Collapse -
RE:....
by 3ntity / January 13, 2010 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: At this point.

ok, lol. what i meant is, is it compatible

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: RE:....

All apologies. Size, connection, GB all match. Is it compatible? Should be. For an absolute answer beyond that we have to install it and test.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
hmm
by 3ntity / January 13, 2010 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: RE:....

I think I'm just gonna get the one from tiger direct and the drivers from Sony; thought id be able to find them for free on the web but that didn't happen.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!