Question

Sony VGN shuts down ,clicks off, on start up,

Has new CPU and heat sink compound. Fan works.
Sometimes it clicks off a half second after I push the start button.To quick to be a heat problem.
Other times it will run for hours and ten click off. No a normal shut down but with a click that sounds like a circut braker.
Any help would be much appreciated.I have tried another power supply.
Paul

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sony VGN shuts down ,clicks off, on start up,
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sony VGN shuts down ,clicks off, on start up,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell the rest of the story.

Why did it get a new CPU?

- Collapse -
Sony VGN

Heat sink fins were cloged so I thought it may have fried the CPU.
Just a shot in the dark. $30.00 down the drain.

- Collapse -
Still too short on detail and story.

Many CPUs are incompatible. And which VGN? Too many.

Did it do the same with the old CPU?
Bob

- Collapse -
Son vgn

Its a VGN-NR22OE Model PCG-71136
I used an exact replacement CPU, same specs etc
No change. Clicks off same as with old one.
Thanks for the help.
Paul

- Collapse -
That model found your post. Not a Sony?
http://www.google.com/search?q=PCG-71136

Trying VGN-NR22OE find the usual pentium laptop from 2007. While it's a little early for a total failure the battery should have failed a few years ago. Many owners keep that old battery and it can fail in a way to overtax the motherboard.

Try it without the AC, pull the battery, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds. Now do NOT install the old battery, apply AC and try one last time.

If no-go then it's too likely the motherboard needs to be swapped.
Bob
- Collapse -
Battery

Bob,
The battery is dead. Have been using AC only for about 6 months th battery has been removed. . I purchsed a non sony battery that came with an instal disc. I have not been able to get it to reconize the battery. If I put the battery in
it will tell me to go to hibernate. The shut down problem started before I tried the new battery.
What actually makes the Click or snap sound when it shuts off? Could there be an oveload protector that is weak? I reinstalled windows using F10 back to when it was new thinkng it could be a virus.
If it's the mother board then it all over. Time for a new one To bad because it works well when it stays on.
Thanks
Paul

- Collapse -
That's a fine clue

That the motherboard power supply circuits are damaged. This STORY is typical.

And no, there is no overload protection against old batteries. Somewhere I'm sure it is written to replace a battery when it's failed but folk continue to leave it in hoping it will charge up or come back.

The motherboard dies.

At least we tried that old generic reset.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Sony VGN

Hi myvgn,
So that Sony may better assist you, please send an email to SonyListens@am.sony.com including your name, address, computer model and serial number, what issue you are experiencing with your comp. and a phone number where you may be contacted. Please put "Cnet Forum" in the subject line.
Thanks =~)
Evelyn Perez

CNET Forums