Laptops forum

General discussion

Sony VGN-N130G/W Hard Drive Capacity

Sony literature, to include the sticker on the packing box, states the VGN-N130G/W laptop has a hard drive capacity of 80GB. However, when I did a system check/status it read: Local Disk: File System: NTIFS, Free Space: 57.3 GB, and Total Size: 69.0 GB. Am I missing something? It appears the system is lacking 11.0 GB of its advertised 80 GB capacity. Obviously, I purchased the laptop because of its advertised 80 GB capacity. Those of you who have this laptop, do a similar check and let me know if you have a similar discrepancy. If so, does anyone have any suggestions as to how this can be rectified. Thanx.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony VGN-N130G/W Hard Drive Capacity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony VGN-N130G/W Hard Drive Capacity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple of thoughts....

In reply to: Sony VGN-N130G/W Hard Drive Capacity

One question is does the laptop have a recovery partition? If so then this would reduce the size of the drive. Additionally, 80,000,000,000 bytes isn't 80 GB but more like 75 GB, since 1024 bytes = 1 kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes = 1 Megabyte, and 1024 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte, as I've had both a laptop and desktop system where the 80 GB drive is more like 75 GB once windows has formatted the drive.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
Sony VGN-N130G/W Hard Drive Capacity

In reply to: A couple of thoughts....

JB, appreciate your reply. In answer to your question -- the laptop does not have a recovery partition. In addition to the system information listed 57.3 GB free space and total size 69 GB capacity, system info reflects Hard Disk Local Disk c:, the remaining items are reflected separately under Devices w/Removable Storage (e.g., memory stick, SD/MMC, etc.). Clicking on Local Disk c: comes up with hidden files. Would these account for the 6 GB (75 GB average (for an 80 GB hard drive) minus the total size 69 GB capacity) discrepancy? Thanx again.

Collapse -
Probably not...

In reply to: Sony VGN-N130G/W Hard Drive Capacity

The hidden files are part of the C drive I'd think. If you go in the Control Panel, in the Administrative Tools there is a "Computer Management" section that should have a Disk Management that should show the partitions on your hard drive. Is the drive itself only 69 GB? I suppose it is possible but somehow I think there may be something else on the drive or maybe it had some bad sectors and so it doesn't have as much capacity as it should for another idea.

Collapse -
Mystery Solved?

In reply to: Probably not...

If as you said previously, an 80GB hard-drive is actually 75GB, then the this laptop's capacity is 75GB as follows. Following your guidance, computer management results came up with two line entries: 1st line: Volume was blank, Layout: Partition, Status (Healthy (EISA Configuration)), Capacity: 5.46GB, Free Space: 793MB, % Free: 14%. The second line read: Volume: (C:), Layout: Partition, Status: Healthy (System); Capacity: 69.07 GB, Free Space: 56.54GB; % Free: 81%. The total capacity adds up to 74.53 GB. Could you define what EISA and NTFS stand for? Thanx.

Collapse -
Well..

In reply to: Mystery Solved?

EISA could be any of the following:

Extended Industry Standard Architecture
European Imaging and Sound Association
Egyptian Insurance Supervisory Authority
Eastern Intercollegiate Ski Association
European IT Services Association
European Independent Steelworks Association
Edmonton Immigrant Services Association
Electronic Information Sharing Agreement
Enterprise Information System Architecture
Electoral Institute of Southern Africa
Environmental Impact Statement Assessment
Eurecom Institute Sophia Antipolis
European Initiative on Sustainable development in Agriculture

Those are found on Acronymfinder.com where Enterprise Information System Architecture seems close to right though it may be one of the others.

NTFS though I would guess is New Technology File System whereWikipedia has more detail on that.

Collapse -
recovery partition

In reply to: Mystery Solved?

That "EISA configuration" partition is a hidden recovery partition.

If you haven't already done so, you need to follow the procedure to burn recovery discs ASAP.

Also, I would advise keeping that partition as is. It is an easy way to reinstall everything to the original condition when the notebook was new.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: recovery partition

JB, Thank you for you patience and assistance. I will create the recovery disks as you recommended. Thanks again.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.