Audio & Video Software forum

Resolved Question

Sony Vegas rendering problem

by TheAnt317 / September 13, 2011 1:28 AM PDT

I'm using Vegas Pro 9.0. Today, I created a project that took me hours to do. However, I ran into a roadblock when trying to render.

Originally I thought I was using files that Vegas simply didn't like to render, which may or may not still be the case. I'm able to render each video file (there are multiple) on its own. The videos play just fine in the editing window and can be edited just fine.

The problem is when I try to render them all together, most of them with the Track Motion function to sort of 'split' the screen between the multiple videos. The rendering process will hang at 0%, while the 'rendering time' and 'time to complete' continue to go up. The video render preview also does not move from the first frame.

This causes Vegas to error. When I click Cancel, it does not actually cancel the render, it just stays on "Render canceled by user." I then have to use the task manager to kill the process.

I really don't want to have to re-do all that work, and I'm really running out of ideas, which included re-converting the files to different file types and replacing them in the project, downloading ffdshow, moving the files to new video tracks and deleting specific videos to try to narrow down the problem. Is there perhaps some video decoder I have to download for Vegas?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

TheAnt317 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vegas rendering problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vegas rendering problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Help?
by mluke1993 / March 16, 2016 8:43 PM PDT

I can't even open up my Rendering settings on my sony vegas pro 13
i've tried every tutorial on youtube,i'm using a windows 8 laptop it's been
working fine for weeks then this just keeps showing up today when
i click render as,anybody know the answer?

file:///C:/Users/Mikaela/Pictures/1%20HELP.png

Collapse -
Avoid dredging old posts up like this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2016 8:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Help?

Make a new post with details and the version, what you tried.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by TheAnt317

Collapse -
There's the clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2011 2:01 AM PDT

This app has wide reports of issues when the encoding varies among the clips. It's possible that some CODEC is not that great but you know your stuff (witness ffdshow) so stick with encoding (CODEC again) in what works.

And no, I can't know this as there are hundreds of CODECs and not one machine has ever been the same collection.
Bob

Collapse -
Found the problem
by TheAnt317 / September 14, 2011 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: There's the clue.

Err, well I found out the problem and I was wondering if you know or would be able
to explain this to me because it's ridiculous.

The problem wasn't the wrong filetype, the number of video clips I had,
the Track Motion function, how I edited the clips, my system specs or
even having the wrong codec.

The problem WAS when I lowered any of the clips volume bars to "-Inf."
it errored and would not save. This was remedied by either increasing
the volume to anything higher than "-Inf." or setting the volume
properties to "Mute."

I tried everything I could possibly think of to fix this and I was
honestly about to give up, when, by process of elimination, I said
"maybe it doesn't like being on mute" and voila, the rendering process
began.

So why is this simple problem a huge mystery and hindrance? Thanks again
for trying to help.

Collapse -
That's interesting.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 14, 2011 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Found the problem

Not sure what -Inf means but from what Bob said, I wonder if this is indeed a codec problem. Audio codec.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2011 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Found the problem
Collapse -
Answer
Vegas Pro 9.0
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 13, 2011 7:12 AM PDT

Is this software? It's just that, from your post I thought this was a make of computer and so I was looking for details of its specs.

But I see it is a video editing program. What computer are you using, make and model and the specifications?

There is a clue of sorts in your post. You can edit one video at a time & you have no problems. But when you attempt to render more than one, the system slows down to a halt.

To my 'untrained' eye that looks like insufficient resources, either system RAM or video RAM. That is why details of your system would help.

However... Has this ever worked? Have you been able to render multiple videos on this system before? If so, what has changed since it last worked?

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?