Laptops forum

General discussion

Sony Vaio vs. Apple

by xcBlade / February 10, 2008 6:28 AM PST

...could anyone gave me an advice what to chouse between Sony Vaio AR790U/B premium model or Apple mac book pro 17"...thanks or if someone have some other sugestion...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vaio vs. Apple
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vaio vs. Apple
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hardware wise, nothing to compare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2008 6:29 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Vaio vs. Apple

Save that power cord. The nice Apple OS however does mean you can skip scanning for virus every day and just use the machine.

How much is that worth to you?

Collapse -
You can also skip constant visits to the Apple Store
by fbbbb / February 11, 2008 5:08 AM PST

to have 'issues' looked at. What's that worth to you?

Collapse -
Only reason I go there
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 8:44 AM PST

Is to watch more being sold. Are you going for another reason?

Collapse -
Where do I start?
by fbbbb / February 11, 2008 6:41 PM PST
In reply to: Only reason I go there

Component failures, warping(!), functional issues, etc. Since Apple doesn't have timely onsite service like any manufacturer worth a damn, the quickest way if I don't want to deal with a two-week turnaround is to take it to them.

Maybe because I'm used to similarly priced kit in the Windows world and I'm not blinded by eye candy I have better standards...?

Collapse -
Outside the forums.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2008 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Where do I start?

No other owner I know has that issue. The one constant I have learned over the decades is the people with such an issue are the most vocal.

Comparing the Apple hardware price is nearly impossible because that OS, support and more is part of the bundle.

What eye candy? It's no more or less than what Windows has today.

Bob

Collapse -
Re
by xcBlade / February 10, 2008 7:37 AM PST

...i mean choose not chouse...choose between does two laptops...

Collapse -
Same Boat
by blklacker / February 16, 2008 9:05 AM PST

I have the same situation. If apple doesn't upgrade MP pro in the next 2 months I will have to jump on the sony ar790. I love mac book pro's but apple does not carry Hi-def laptops. The only advantage apple has is the OS and the back lit Keyboard. If you disagree please look up the spec of the new sony ar790 and post why?? Let me state why! The New Sony ar790 for the price is less than a comparable MP PRO. AR790 is one of the most impressive laptops on the market. Seriously Its the ultimate Hi-Def media-TV-DVR tuner laptop with enough horse power to double as a gaming laptop also it includes blu-ray writer and since blu ray has won the format war its a safe purchase. Serious this laptop does everything from playing games to playing back Hi DEF movies on the go it even doubles as a TV-DVR. AR790 9 cell replaceable battery insure few hrs of usage before charge not to shabby. The only draw back is vista os, I hate vista right now, but i think once M$ gets it together service pack will resolve a lot of the problems. The only way I can justify purchasing a mac-book pro at this point in time, apple will have to come seriously strong with a new revised updated MP Pro that includes at least a blu-ray player and HD screen with a updated graphics card. For the price sony ar790 blows MP pro out of the water its up to apple to revise its MP pro and compete.

Collapse -
HD DVD is dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 9:23 AM PST
In reply to: Same Boat

Your wish may be possible soon.

Collapse -
I'd go Apple.
by BioHazard4482 / February 18, 2008 1:12 AM PST

If you want a computer that you don't have to constantly scan for viruses, I'd go with the Mac. They may not have on-site technicians but I believe they have the best customer support in the business. Although with a Mac, you will have to sacrifice some software as always with the Mac OS, but you could get Parallels and rune both Windows and Leopard. It's just whatever you want.

Collapse -
mac OS
by blklacker / February 18, 2008 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: I'd go Apple.

Apple does have the advantage of OS, most cant argue that but its the hardware that is always lacking from apple. Its Build to Order is a joke and for what you pay compared to what you get is just unfair. If i compare the price of a new MB Pro to a new sony ar790 apple at this point just cant compete. Its hard for me to justify the price knowing all your getting with ar790u

Collapse -
Consider Sony Vaio AR770 CTO
by chadkatter / February 26, 2008 9:51 AM PST

I received my Sony Vaio AR770 CTO (Configure-to-Order) earlier today. It is the fully customizable version of the Vaio AR790U/B. I upgraded it to include the faster (7200rpm) hard drives, faster processor (2.6GHZ), and extended-life battery. If you're considering the Sony at all, definitely take a look at the CTO...you'll probably be happier being able to choose many of the parts, and the wait of a few days for the machine to get built isn't that bad.

Collapse -
feed back
by blklacker / February 26, 2008 10:46 AM PST

After you spend a few days with the ar770cto please enlighten us on what you think of the laptop. I'm at crossroads right now between the new updated MacBook pro & Sony vaioar770cto.

IMO ar779 CTO is pretty much the best, most feature rich laptop you can get for a decent price tag. I just hate windows-let us know how vista works on this lappy. I really want to hear your review of your new laptop Chadkatter

Collapse -
...question...
by xcBlade / February 28, 2008 8:00 AM PST

...could you tell me does AR770 have the same things as AR790U/B, i mean ports and other stuff, like card readers and so...thanks...i am planing to get one.so...

Collapse -
Mac vs Sony Vaio
by bogdan_oo / December 23, 2010 1:24 AM PST

Apple ...much faster...it doesn`t get virused...i will buy a mac very soon...i found a good offer on Britainprice...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?