Question

Sony Vaio VGN-FW needs a ScanDisk 480gb ExtemePro SSD

Dec 26, 2015 6:55PM PST

Help would be appreciated with this upgrade as info on my old Sony VGN-FW378D is scarce and the question is the ScanDisk ExtremePro SSD compatable on the data transfer rate capacity or other unknown challenges with this upgrade? OS is Vista and I want to upgrade to Windows 7,,it has 4mg memory w/8mg max capacity. The old dog works fine but needs some boost. Any info would be great. Thank you.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Sony Vaio VGN-FW needs a ScanDisk 480gb ExtemePro SSD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sony Vaio VGN-FW needs a ScanDisk 480gb ExtemePro SSD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Let's try this the other way.
Dec 27, 2015 8:46AM PST

What HDD is in the laptop now?

As to 4 and 8mg, that would be milligrams? Must be a typo. Check Crucial.com for memory. Crucual might make an offer on their SSD's as well.

- Collapse -
My error it's 4,000mb. memory capable of 8,000mb
Dec 28, 2015 9:17PM PST

Hard drive presently is Hitachi HTS723232L9SA60 that runs 7200rpm.  PC has a Centrino 2 intel chip processor. I've got the EXREME 480 I just don't want to proceed if the computer is not capable to handle the data transfer speed of the SSD. Thanks for posting.

- Collapse -
Lower case is milli
Dec 29, 2015 9:26AM PST

Upper case would be mega. Lower case b is bits and upper is Bytes. I know it's hard to be exact on these things.

Let's be honest. Not all PCs can transfer at the max speed of the SSDs but that doesn't mean it doesn't work or give the machine a big boost in speed.

The existing HDD is 2.5 inch 9.5mm. This means almost all the current SSDs will fit. No issue there.

- Collapse -
Good news.
Dec 30, 2015 11:19AM PST

Sounds like I should be able to get the SSD in and working. Thank you for the info and I find the upper lower case confusing this is not an area I deal with often. I'm trying to look more often on Wikipedia for basic information but key words "look first".

CNET Forums

Forum Info