Computer Help forum

General discussion

Sony VAIO Notebook Audio Problems

by bmwvan / April 11, 2006 8:41 AM PDT

My new VAIO VGN-FS810 fails to play audio properly. The thing sounds like an old 8-track player with bad wow and flutter. I uninstalled the driver and downloaded the latest (same one I had) driver from Sony and installed it. I have adjusted every setting I could find and tried every trick I know or have heard about and nothing changes. Sometimes things play well, and then the distortion kicks in. Usually when something accesses the CPU (seems like to me). Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm running XP Home Service Pack 2. System restore has not worked, no matter how far back I restore. HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony VAIO Notebook Audio Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony VAIO Notebook Audio Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2006 9:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
DMA./PIO flip
by bmwvan / April 11, 2006 11:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

Bob, I tried flipping the mode from PIO to DMA, but saw no change in aduio performance. The Current Transfer Mode is now DMA if Available, but the current transfer mode is still PIO in the box below the drop-down box. I tried this change two or three times, and still have the same problem. Any other ideas?

Van

Collapse -
Tried or did it get done?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: DMA./PIO flip

If you only tried and didn't accomplish the procedure, go back and get it done.

For clarity, "tried" doesn't mean it's been done.

-> Next up are pests. Do scans with Housecall and Ewido come up clean?

Bob

Collapse -
Huh?
by bmwvan / April 12, 2006 3:14 AM PDT

I don't know why you are attacking me. I'll solve this without your smartass comments. Go bother someone your own age. I'm too busy to put up with this.

Collapse -
Perils of English.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Huh?

Wars have begun over such misunderstandings. Sadly, no attack was meant or launched and I truly wish you the best.

"Tried" does not mean the procedure was done.

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry!
by bmwvan / April 12, 2006 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Perils of English.

Sorry, Bob. I'm just having a bad day, taxes and whatnot. I mean no offense and appreciate your efforts to help. In the past 23 years, I have fought problems like this one with personal computers on everything from a Radio Shack Model 4P to this VAIO and all sorts inbetween. Everything I have done tells me that my device and driver are functioning properly. NOT!

Then, there was the Yoda reference.

Anyway,
Sorry to have snapped.
Van

Collapse -
Snap away. I just finished my taxes. Had to...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2006 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry!

Switch to decaf for the last 2 weeks.

These computers are quite persnickity that we get that little procedure exactly so. Some will flip it back and forth without the oblibitory OK or change it ever so slightly. Others have written they tried but couldn't figure it out.

With all apologies for how rough just the words are, this little nugget has worked magic at times.

-> If not, my next step is a boot CD and I play a DVD. Here's the details.

1. I find GEEXBOX on google.com. It's a small download as things go.
2. I follow the instructions to make the GEEXBOX boot CD (I use CDBURNEXP since it has a WRITE ISO method).
3. I boot the GEEXBOX CD.
4. I toss in a good DVD and then I listen.

If I'm at this step, about 1 in 10 units show some sound issue. Sadly if this fails, we know it's a hardware failure.

-> If that test passes or you want to try this first, find the Audio Acceleration slider down a notch as noted at http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;q236396#EPABAAA

Usually that will fix it.

Bob

Collapse -
Still distorted
by bmwvan / April 13, 2006 2:11 AM PDT

I performed the flip as listed in your excellent post, but did not see any improvement. I made the changes again, no joy. I changed the hardware acceleration rate several times as well as the sampling rate conversion quality, volume, speaker type, and anything else that I could find that might have an adverse impact on audio performance. I have scanned my system for spyware, viruses, etc, and came up clean. I may just have a lemon on my hands.

Other computers I have owned that displayed this problem were fixed by installing a new driver or changing the settings. I think this one has beat me.

Thanks for your help!

Van

Collapse -
Does geexbox play right? More...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 2:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Still distorted

Also, there are some issues with Windows Media Player (WMP) worth looking into.

-> I rarely have to progress into the next steps but something is amiss with the OS or laptop here. Sorry that we have to dive this deep.

Here's the link that I use to play with WMP. http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#audio jumps to the audio section and thankfully you have more to try...

After this, feel free to send me a copy of the output from HIJACKTHIS via my email link on my profile for a quick lookover. Just to make sure.

Bob

Collapse -
DMA / PIO switch
by viswanathgk / September 23, 2007 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

I did encountered the audio problem mentioned in this forum, and I was able to resolve it with the help of Sony support guys by doing a switch from PIO to DMA. But for that I had to uninstall the Primary IDE channels in the device manager and restart the machine. Upon startup the proper channels are installed automatically, and another restart resolves the problem completely. The mode might be set to PIO by some installs or updates of Real Player, i Tunes etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.