Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony Vaio: Best to get Sony Camera?

by Judy Walsh / January 7, 2006 10:20 AM PST

If I have a Sony Vaio computer, would it be best to get a Sony digital camera? I have gotten quite used to my Kodak Easy Share and really like it, but I am giving it to my son. The only drawback with the Kodak Easy Share is that I couldn't plug the memory stick directly into the USB port; with the Sony digital camera, I could. No biggie, but I was wondering if there were other reasons I should stick with compatible computer/digital camera? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Vaio: Best to get Sony Camera?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Vaio: Best to get Sony Camera?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 11:13 PM PST

I have never heard of a memory stick that would plug into the USB port of a computer.

There are card readers that plug into the USB port and then you plug your camera memory card into the card reader. They make card readers that read all types of memory cards.

Can you provide a link to information about a memory stick that plugs directly into the USB port.

Here is a link to some USB card readers:

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=FLM

Collapse -
SD instead of USB Port
by Judy Walsh / January 8, 2006 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Sony

Sorry, I didn't mean you plug the memory stick into the USB port; you plug it right NEXT to the USB port into a slot for ''SD''....ScanDisk??

Collapse -
Card Reader
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: SD instead of USB Port

That must be something that is unique to that Sony computer. It sounds as if, it is actually a card reader for memory sticks.

Collapse -
not a big deal
by gcy / January 8, 2006 12:03 PM PST

I havent own other cameras instead of a cybershot, but cybershots are great cameras. Photo quality and even movies turns out excellent.
now many laptops are putting memory card readers in laptops usually only a sd slot.

Collapse -
No, there is no connection between the brand of camera and
by Kiddpeat / January 8, 2006 1:06 PM PST

the computer brand. Naturally, Sony wants you to buy everything Sony. That doesn't mean you should. A camera should be selected based on its own merits. Any modern digital camera can connect to your Sony thru its USB connection, and camera card readers are very cheap. Readers attach to the computer thru the USB connection.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Judy Walsh / January 10, 2006 9:23 AM PST

Thanks for your help...first time to ask a question. Most helpful to have this resource!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!