TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

SONY SXRD not true 1080p?! WHAT TO DO?

by stevenhogden / May 21, 2006 8:32 AM PDT

here's the thing, i'm new to all of this and with the prices we're talking
i want the best i can get for under $5000
but my confusion level is high and you guys know your stuff

at the end of the day i want an exceptional picture and a set that will take advantage of the upcoming blu-ray, hddvd, and so on

so that said i'm looking for a TV at 60" and over

the SONY SXRD is gorgeous in-store, the best picture i've seen for the money but friends with some knowledge tell me that it does not take a true 1080p signal natively and will not be able to take advantage of the blu-ray dvds and certain tech just on the horizon such as the PLAYSTATION 3

so now based on that i've explored the limited number of 1080p tvs on the market and found that the HP PAVILLION 65" is getting outstanding reviews on the net but no one seems to carry them instore where i've been ( BESTBUY has the plasmas by them and Magnolia says they don't carry them)

so i also heard about the new DLP's with lasers instead of bulbs from SAMSUNG and MITSUBISHI but the price and wait for them is what i don't know and what are the real advantages

so back to square one
i'm at bestbuy and the SONY SXRD 60" 1080p (which apparently isn't native) is sitting right next to the MITSUBISHI 1080p which is native
and SONY is kicking it's ***

so being the newbie i am, what am i not realizing
is the signal that both tvs are hooked up to "lying"
does SONY have a 1080p native TV coming soon within that size and price range

what's the skinny guys?!

signed,
CONFUSED

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SONY SXRD not true 1080p?! WHAT TO DO?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SONY SXRD not true 1080p?! WHAT TO DO?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
THE TRUTH IS THAT THERE IS NO BROADCAST OR............
by Riverledge / May 21, 2006 9:41 AM PDT

CABLE 1080p available at this time (it might be years.) Find a good deal on the SONY SXRD 60" XBR1, and buy it. And don't look back. 1080i is more than excellent.

Good shopping, river.

Collapse -
couple things (but go with the sony)
by masterying01 / May 21, 2006 1:15 PM PDT

"SONY SXRD 60" 1080p (which apparently isn't native)". actually its the opposite, the sony has a native 1080p resolution...but the hdmi plug in the back is not capable of receiving that much information. the most the hdmi will receive is 1080i. the tv upconverts it back to 1080p. so with blueray, 1080p goes from the dvd, right when it gets into the tv..it goes down to 1080i, and the tv upconverts it back to 1080p. this is true with most tv's out right now except for the hp 1080p dlp's. (the new led dlps will supposedly be able to get a 1080p signal...but...) you most likely wouldnt see a difference and there is no need to get caught up in the number game.

the reason why the sony looked so much better then the mitsubishi was the fact that sony is an lcos tv (with a lot more mirrors on the chip) while the mitsu is a dlp (with a lot less mirrors on the chip...but gives you the resolution due to something called wabblation which basically....wabbles the mirrors to get you a 1080p picture. )

60xbr is a GREAT tv and you if you are looking for a tv now, there isnt really any need to wait. go pick it up. feel free to ask for a nice package deal (aka discount, but be nice about it) on everything you're buying cause most stores will work out something good for you.

Collapse -
BLUERAY MAY NOT BE COMPATIABLE
by BONSPEED / May 22, 2006 6:28 PM PDT

the sony sxrd is a highly desirable hdtv and rightly so, but may still have compatibilty issues with blueray. any 1080p material will only be available via a hd dvd source. the current crop of 1080p hdtv cannot receive a true 1080p signal because of the present generation hdmi inputs. even if blueray comes out with the next generation hdmi 1.3 outputs(big if), they will require a hdtv with hdmi 1.3 inputs.

how much better a 1080p image(true or converted) is a question still looking for an answer. with the battle to establish a hd dvd standard just begining, having the manufactors push 1080p as the next holly grail now is like putting the wagon in front of the horse.

Collapse -
HUH???
by Larry Pigeon / May 23, 2006 2:56 AM PDT

You seem to be saying that Blueray might only be compatible with displays that have hdmi 1.3. No such tv exist for sale yet do they? If they do there are very very few out there in the publics homes. Would that not be pretty stupid marketing for the makers of blueray to ask you to pay the big bucks for their hot new hd player and then say "and by the way you'll have to buy a new tv with hdmi 1.3, if you can find one, for this thing to work for you." If there is to be a war between HD DVD and Blueray that would be like a blullet to the head of BR. Wouldn't you think that more than likely they would be backwards compatible so that current hdmi sets could receive 1080i?

Collapse -
CANT FIT A SQUARE PEG INTO A ROUND HOLE.
by BONSPEED / May 23, 2006 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: HUH???

if 1080p is to be a reality, it will reqiure hdmi 1.3 technology. one reason why blueray has been delayed is because sony wants to incorporate the next generation inputs in their new systems (blueray/ps3). the current crop 1080p hdtvs can only receive and convert 1080i signals because of the excisting hdmi inputs. doesnt this implies there might a compatibily issue between the two? if 1080p catches on,i would not be surprise to see sony(any manufactors) advertising 1080p capable hdtv sooner then later.

in the end, all of this is just speculation. whether blueray/ps3 will have the next generation hdmi remains to be seen. the sony sxrd is an impressive hdtv and should be given more credit then just another 1080p hdtv.

Collapse -
I agree about the Sony and
by Larry Pigeon / May 23, 2006 1:18 PM PDT

I was in the city today (Dallas) so I dropped by Circuit City and Best Buy to look at tv displays. They both had the newest generation Samsungs that weren't there a couple of weeks ago. The 1080p version looked to be a huge improvement over last years model. It had a piano black finish, a more attactive cabinet and a much brighter picture. More vivid than anything else in the long row of rp displays at Circuit City except for the sxrd (no jvcs at CC).The salesperson at Best Buy didn't know didley but I was told at CC that Samsung added two colors to the wheel, increased the contrast ratio to 10,000 to 1 and the set WILL accept 1080p via hdmi. I can't attest to any of that but I will say the picture made me take notice and I was not a Samsung fan.
Tom

Collapse -
UM
by masterying01 / May 23, 2006 2:19 PM PDT

i'm about 99% sure they actually took away two segments on the color wheel instead of adding to. instead of a 7 segment, its now a 5 segment on the samsung dlp. these models still are NOT capable of transfering 1080p signals through the hdmi port(supposedly the LED DLP's comming out will be capable of it).

i can't stand these new 1080p tv's cause it is sooooooooooooooooooo pixelated (on the same signal hooked up with the same cable) next to the sony sxrd or jvc hdila tv's. picture is not even smooth either. but thats just the out of the box settings for all these tv's.

Collapse -
Oh well.
by Larry Pigeon / May 23, 2006 2:41 PM PDT
In reply to: UM

I guess you spend a lot more time with these displays than I do but my first impression was more positive than all that. Heaven forbid, I didn't say it was as good as the sony. If I thought it I would not say it in fear of the sony police. As I read your comment the words burn-out come to mind. Is this where I am headed?

Collapse -
But that one %
by Larry Pigeon / May 28, 2006 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: UM

They added two colors and I just copied this from the crutchfield site;
The HL-S6187W has plenty of inputs to handle your current and future audio/video gear. There are two HD-compatible component video inputs, and two HDMI inputs ? and for future-readiness, all accept signals up to 1080p.
Why is it that when you talk to people at Big Box stores they have just enough knowledge to throw you off balance?

Collapse -
(NT) The Samsung web site is unclear
by Larry Pigeon / May 23, 2006 2:19 PM PDT

in the specifications a couple of the sets do list 1080p as supported but not how. Some of you CC or BBY guys should know about this.
Tom

Collapse -
1080p and hdmi
by pajama2222 / June 1, 2006 4:52 AM PDT

If you look at the standard, all versions of hdmi do support 1080p right now. Hdmi 1.3 is not needed for 1080p

Collapse -
again
by masterying01 / June 1, 2006 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: 1080p and hdmi

the cable supports 1080p. but the ports on the tv need to support it too and very few tv's do.

Collapse -
I agree...
by kena10 / May 21, 2006 10:06 PM PDT

The 60" XBR is probably the most sought after tv these days from a videophile/consumer perspective. The picture is incredible as you have already seen for yourself. 1080p input? It's not an issue. As discussed earlier, there's an upconverted inside the tv that will upconvert whatever source into the tv to its native resolution, which is 1080p, so with blu-ray and the ps 3, you shouldn't have a problem.
If you're still skeptical about this tv, don't be. Take it from me. I have one. Wink

Collapse -
SONY SXRD not true 1080p
by jcrobso / May 22, 2006 2:53 AM PDT

What this means is the this HDTV has a frame buffer that deinterlaces the the video before it displayes it, nothing more!!!!! What gives this the set the great picture is the 1920x1080 3 chip LCoS light engine NOT the progessive part!!! John

Collapse -
THANKS more questions follow HP, LED, SED???
by stevenhogden / May 22, 2006 3:44 PM PDT

thanks for the info so far, guys
it's been great and any more would be appreciated
such as where to get the SONY for the best price while
also getting an extended service contract

what else do i need to get the most out of this tv

and has anyone ever seen or compared it to the HP Pavillion
or the new SAMSUNG led or the potential release of the TOSHIBA/ PHILLIPS developed SED tvs

thanks

ainoko

Collapse -
HP, LED, SED???
by jcrobso / May 23, 2006 3:15 AM PDT

It's difficult to compaire HP products since most are sold online or in computer stores. The others are not in stores yet, ask in 6 months. John

Collapse -
HP dlp 1080P Native
by mrisrael87 / May 30, 2006 6:02 AM PDT

Sam's club just got in the 58'' model. It didn't look very impressive, but none of their tv look very good. Probably due to the way they are hooked up. I live in Greensboro, NC. I don't know how many of their stores carry the TV.

Collapse -
YOU KNOW, WITH ALL THIS SAID AND DONE,...........
by Riverledge / May 23, 2006 3:04 PM PDT

I'D STILL buy the SONY SXRD, hands down.

Collapse -
1080I 1080P po po
by stewart norrie / June 2, 2006 8:58 AM PDT

Just switch on NOTHING BUT TRAILERS which is a half hour show on cnet. Your going to see a picture thats better than any movie theater you have gone to and in horrible 1080I It just doesn" get any better than that

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.