Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony SR5 vs Canon HG 10

I am looking to purchase an entry level high def, hard drive camcorder. I have read all I can find and have ended up at the Sony SR 5 and Canon HG 10. We will be using it for basic home movies only. Any feedback from existing owners of each beyond what is posted thus far?

Secondly, is buying one of these camcorders that use AVCHD not making a bet on Bluray vs HD DVD as I am under the impression that in order to view burned dvds (in high def) from a camcorder that records in AVCHD, you need a BluRay player? I looked at the JVC Everio since it does not use AVCHD, but the reviews seemed much more negative than those for the Sony and Canon.

Thanks for any feedback.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony SR5 vs Canon HG 10
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony SR5 vs Canon HG 10
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AVCHD is merely a compression mechanism when the camcorder

In reply to: Sony SR5 vs Canon HG 10

records in high def mode. Once you get it into you computer, it is decoded/decompressed. Then your video editing application re-codes it to whatever you select it to re-code to - and when you burn a DVD, it is whatever format you specify.

Compression means loss of data - that cannot be recovered. AVCHD compresses a LOT (Keep in mind that high definition video is ~4 times more information than standard definition video. An hour of AVCHD video on you camcorder will take up less space on the camcorder hard drive than an hour of standard definition video. That compression - throwing away data - will not be recovered in the decompression process.

Starting with the best available video for editing is a better way to go. Using AVCHD for compression as the LAST step (not the first step) is a better way to go. The Canon HV20 or Sony HDR-HC7 are both miniDV tape based machines that store using HDV (for high definition video) - not AVCHD - HDV compresses the video, but near as much as AVCHD does... However, if you are set on a hard drive based rig, the HG10 has gotten better reviews than the SR5.

See the ratings area at camcorderinfo.com

JVC does not make the short list for reasons other than not using AVCHD (though that is definitely a big plus in their favor). Their camcorder electronics just don't stack up against Sony or Panasonic or Canon and colors aren't as vivd.

Collapse -
Canon HG10 vs Sony SR5 solved... well sorta

In reply to: AVCHD is merely a compression mechanism when the camcorder

Ok I had the same problem so what better way than to buy both. First a little background on me. I

Collapse -
thanks for the time spent

In reply to: Canon HG10 vs Sony SR5 solved... well sorta

I/m in the process of buying a first time camcorder and reviews like yours help a heck of a lot, thanks for taking the time. We need low light, sports shots, volleyball, soccer, softball, vacations, in a nut shell the SR-5 should be good right! Thanks

Collapse -
Update on SR5 HV10

In reply to: thanks for the time spent

SR-5 I think is a great choice there both good cameras. I wanted to comment and correct a comment I made. The SR-5 Does a slight up convert form 1.2 to 1.6 megapixels and the Canon does a downconvert from 2.1 to 1.6 from what I can tell. The artifacts I was seeing in the Canon I have to assume was from the conversion process. Also I didnt talk about stabalizeation. I the canon has optical and the sony has electronic. Normally I would say optical is the way to go but according to sony you dont loose any fidelity with there electronic stabalization and furthermore I actually found the SR5 and HV10 both great.

Collapse -
mini dvd or this

In reply to: Update on SR5 HV10

Sorry, for some reason I thought the Sr-5 was a mini-dvdtape, would it still be good to think about or should I only look at the min-DVd because of comppression and loss of quality

Collapse -
MiniDV vs. AVCHD

In reply to: mini dvd or this

Mini DV you will get the highest quality I would recommend the HV20. In perfect lighting situation I see little or no difference using AVCHD codec. And in low light the difference is not that bad. I find HDD so convenient because I can edit on the fly well I?m (delete clips etc) on the road. It saves me so much time, plus the hassle of having so many tapes. The AVCHD has quite a bit of support now so you won?t have trouble finding editing software.

Collapse -
Can you explain

In reply to: MiniDV vs. AVCHD

what "the hassle of having so many tapes" is? After I shoot and lock the tape and import to my computer, the tape goes in a case and is put in a fireproof, waterproof, lock-box. They aren't thrown around the house or otherwise unorganized...

What do you do with your archives?

I've imported hi-def video from two years ago that was not used the first time around because I have original tapes - my archive - was easily available.

Collapse -
Tapes vs HDD

In reply to: Can you explain

I use a Network attatched storage of 1 terabyte. Nothing wrong with cassets, just a matter of pref. I have MiniDVs I just dont organize them Happy

Collapse -
Good idea on the NAS...

In reply to: Tapes vs HDD

In my former life as an IT manager, they were just starting to come out. They are a good, fast way to do secondary storage - but as and electromechanical device, I would still back the hard drives up to digital tape. But since I have the digital tape to start with, it is not necessary.

And thank you for the clarification: "Nothing wrong with cassets, just a matter of pref." There really is no "hassle" with the tapes...

Collapse -
confused still on format to get

In reply to: MiniDV vs. AVCHD

Are you recommending tapes or HDD which I think is Hard Disc Drive which is not a minDVtape right, all new to me, because my wife will be taking lots of indoor shots, show choir, band choir, volleyball, need something good in those areas too. I'm ready to stop looking, allso looked at JVC this morning, plus Cannon and Sony!

Collapse -
Which format to buy

In reply to: confused still on format to get

Do not buy the JVC I have had extensive experience with JVC and they are not up to par. To be honest the difference between MiniDV and AVCHD IMHO is splitting hairs although I do agree that MiniDV is probably better for faster moving video and provides a slightly better picture. But to be honest you really have to have that caviar eye to notice it. I highly recommend HDD for consumers. Its really convienent. If your going to buy a MiniDV camcorder buy the Canon HV20 the choice is very clear when it comes to MiniDV. In fact for your application and if you love MiniDV this is the camcorder you should buy.

Collapse -
HDD for consumers

In reply to: Which format to buy

What do you recommend in HDD then?

Collapse -
HDD Camera

In reply to: HDD for consumers

I personally like the Sony SR5 over the Canon HG10. But both of them are great cameras, you cant go wrong.

Collapse -
human hair manufacturer, human hair exporter, natural hair

In reply to: HDD Camera

We are professional hair products manufacturer with all kinds of top weft hair extensions,Pre bonded hair extensions , clips on hair extensions, skin weft, hand-tied hair weave, full lace wigs, toupees , machine made human hair wigs and so on.
Please trust us for your reliable partner with our good reputation, top quality and competitive prices. We sincerely hope to build a long time cooperation with you !

www[dot]visionremyhair[dot]com Thank you

[visionremyhair] Marketing Team

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.