Video Cameras forum

Question

Sony SR12 VS CANON VIXIA HFS200, please help :)

by damnhor2 / May 23, 2011 11:19 PM PDT

Well I have 2 options:
Either a CANON VIXIA HFS200 at full retail price.
Or a Sony SR12 new from the box at $600!

I don't really care for the HDD or anything like that. I just want the best picture quality.

Can you guys help me decide?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony SR12 VS CANON VIXIA HFS200, please help :)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony SR12 VS CANON VIXIA HFS200, please help :)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If you go by specs...
by boya84 / May 25, 2011 11:13 AM PDT

Lens filter diameter. Larger is better. More light allowed in.
SR12 = 37mm
S200 = 58mm - winner.

Collapse -
Thanks
by damnhor2 / May 25, 2011 4:36 PM PDT
In reply to: If you go by specs...

Well, I do plan on editing using either imovie or Final Cut Pro.
I have an:
imac 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo.
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.
ATI Radeon HD 4850.
So I think it can handle AVCHD files?

I have erased the Sony SR12 and now am deliberating between the Canon S21 and the Panasonic HDC-TM700..., I really like the Panny but I really also like the cinemode that cannon has.
I truly don't know what to do...

Collapse -
Your iMac
by boya84 / May 25, 2011 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

configuration will be fine. I have used a Canon HF S100 with a similar configuration and Final Cut. If it is that difficult, just flip a coin between the two on your short list. The difference in video quality will be minimal.

Collapse -
Assuming you use
by boya84 / May 26, 2011 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Your iMac

Final Cut (assuming it is a version that can deal with AVCHD compressed files), just connect the camcorder to the computer with a USB cable, put the camcorder in Play/PC mode (if iPhoto automatically launches, quit that app - and adjust the auto-launch preferences in Image Capture), use Final Cut's "Log and Capture" selection (under "File") and pull in the video.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!