Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony SR11

by michigantrainer / December 24, 2008 8:24 PM PST

Merry Christmas all

I just got my new SR11 the question is this. before i go tearing apart the box and such

I have a few question's the camera will be used in backup roll for a outdoor show. Now can i transfer video from this to the beta tapes the tv network use's and will the Quality be as good?
thanks all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony SR11
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony SR11
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Transfer to the Beta
by boya84 / December 25, 2008 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Sony SR11

tapes will be analog. Presume you need to shoot in 4:3. Best to read the manual on getting to the setting. Use the AV cables when dubbing out. Consumer camcorder behavior is not very good due to small lenses and small imaging chips.

Video quality will be as good as the BetaCam's only if the lighting is good when the video was captured by the SR11. Pro BetaCam video will be better than the SR11's in low light (SR11's will be grainy).

Collapse -
cold weather
by michigantrainer / December 25, 2008 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: Transfer to the Beta

Thanks i thought so
iam also wondering about the cold temps my currnt cameras GL2's we use handwarmer muffs and heat packs to keep them warm.

are there any hard drive issues to be worried about in the cold

Collapse -
Electronics and batteries
by boya84 / December 25, 2008 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: cold weather

are still electronics and batteries. Check the SR11's manual - at the end - there is a "specifications" area that included operating temperatures for the camcorder and the batteries. There are low temp limits. Using the same warmers for both the GL2s and the SR11 are probable. Just because the SR11 has a hard drive does not make it any more or less susceptible to cold (or heat).

Where the BIGGEST differences are in the environmentals are that hard drive camcorders have known issues with sustained vibration (loud crowds, loud music, engines, etc.) and high altitude (over 9,800 feet - due to low air pressure) which causes the hard drive heads to park. The potential "workaround" for the vibration item is to disable the drop sensor - but then you risk scruffing the hard drive platters and crashing the drive.

MiniDV tape and flash memory camcorders do not have the vibration or altitude issues hard drive cams have.

Collapse -
thanks
by michigantrainer / December 25, 2008 1:41 AM PST

the main purpose will be to film some hunting and fishing shows and as backup role for horse trips and such thanks for the info so i should not worry and run with it then?

Collapse -
Since I never know
by boya84 / December 25, 2008 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: thanks

where I'll be wanting to capture video - or what the audio environment will be - I make every effort to eliminate potential issues. ALL hard drive camcorders have the vibration and altitude potential issues. As well, the "extra step" in making an archive and potential data recovery issues (I dealt with too many laptop computer crashed hard drives and working with DriveSavers in my previous life as an IT manager)...

Neither miniDV tape nor flash memory camcorders have these issues. MiniDV tape does not have the burden of AVCHD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?