Laptops forum

General discussion

Sony service on notebooks

by llenc / November 26, 2004 3:17 AM PST

I'm considering the purchase of a Sony Vaio T series notebook, but am very concerned by all the negative things I've read about sony's customer service and repair record. I have yet to hear of someone who was *pleased* with the response they received from sony.

So, I'd appreciate some thoughts on the following questions:

1. To those who currently own a T series notebook - have you had any problems with it? I certainly don't want the thing to fail after just a week or two!

2. If sony's service is so poor, where else could I have the notebook fixed if necessary? Would purchasing an extended warranty from, for instance, Compusa at the time of purchase provide me with a better option for repairs? Or would I just be paying Compusa $400 of "warranty" money to ship my product to sony anyway?

3. Given that I like the features and portability of the Vaio T series, can anyone recommend laptops from other companies with similar features and a better record of customer service? The features of the T series that are most important to me are: light weight, internal dvd-cd (doesn't have to be a dvd burner) and bright, clear screen.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony service on notebooks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony service on notebooks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Poor Sony service on notebooks. For me, none.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 3:27 AM PST

My story is simple. The office picked the Sony and obtained over a dozen of the same model for use in the office.

Within one week about 1/2 the units had bluescreened many times and the disaster was starting.

Fast forward to one year later and all the units have had multiple trips to Sony's repair facility but the issues never were gone on a repaired unit.

Finally a technician slipped up and told us the units were not suitable for more than a few hours usage. We had thought that for an office running Microsoft Office and outlook that a laptop would not feel any strain.

Armed with this we changed the laptops around to people who took a lunchbreak. Then told them to shut down over lunch. This appeared to solve most of the crashes and we were able to eek some usage out of these units.

Sony failed us terribly and refused to admit any error, limitation or exchange the units for any other model.

This experience changed my view of Sony forever.

Bob

PS. If you read various magazines about service from various companies, Sony is usually in last place.

PPS. If you need more proof, look up what happened to Sony PDA owners in NA last year.

Collapse -
Re: Bob's Horror story
by Ryan T / November 26, 2004 3:35 AM PST

My god! That's outrageous. A few hours at a time? It's beyond me that any company, let alone Sony, currently the poshest computer company around, would design something to be used a few hours at a time!

Collapse -
by ikenfixit / November 26, 2004 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Bob's Horror story

That is pretty poor as far as a run time. I currently use a GRX 570 thats been on literally for days on end. Of course I repaired this one, Ram slots, Power supply issues and such. If Sonys gone to the dogs in that respect I guess I'll be seeing alot more of the newer models coming our way as well. If anybody in this forum needs help on a Sony or any other brand of laptop give us a call. This is a geat place to hang a hat!
Ken LaDere
www.ikenfixit.com

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 29, 2004 12:15 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Bob's Horror story

The quality lightweight alternative (#1 in notebook service and quality) are Apples. Yes, Sony and Apples have very similar prices in fact and are both flashy and lightweight but the Apple backs it up with quality and the Sony backs it up with dead last service (their Notebook quality is #3 or #4 but if you have an service issue you are in deep trouble -- Apple is # 1 either way).

If you are looking at an ultralight notebook (which does not have the dedicated video RAM possibly and other features a 5.5-7 pound notebook would have) than an Apple may suit your needs for that use).

If not look at the IBM notebooks --they are #2 in notebook service (and #1 for PC notebooks) and they have some nice lighter designs and they are known for their top keyboards as well (dating back to the Selectric typewriters).

If you are a Citibank credit card holder there is a 15% IBM notebook discount available through 12/31/04 -- search for my post in November on this notebook forums........

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?