TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony rear projection replacement lamp help???

We've got a 2yr old Sony KDS50A2000 that has a warning finally showing up that lamp (XL-5200) is nearing end of life. Lasted longer than we expected since our TV is on 8+ hours per day. Our quandry is whether to buy replacement w/housing at Sony for $250 or risk our cash elsewhere for a lamp only (no housing) for maybe $150. Any experience or suggestions out there?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony rear projection replacement lamp help???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony rear projection replacement lamp help???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no comment

In reply to: Sony rear projection replacement lamp help???

maybe Dan or Rusty can give you better info. But, if it was me, Id just get the Sony with housing. in fact, if you love your tv, which I bet you do, Id probably buy at least 2 more bulbs. Maybe even 3. I know that's a lot of money, but you would be set for the duration of the tv's lifetime.

FWIW< someone who knows a lot more than me about AV recommends buying 5-6. I know, nuts.

Collapse -
bulb

I figured my bulb in my SXRD would last 2-3 years so I got the $190 3-year service plan from Crutchfield which includes 1 free replacement bulb and I know they won't screw me and get me some cheap-o replacement since they have good CS.

I'd just get the $250 one unless you can find a reliable retailers selling the same thing for less.

Collapse -
Housing or no housing

I have the newer SXRD model but I haven't had any bulb issues yet (knock on wood), but if it were me, I'd look at your existing bulb unit, take it out, and see if the bulb can be changed easily using the same housing. The instructions tell how to take the bulb housing out, and it looks simple to pop back in, but examine how the bulb only is replaced. If it's easy, it may be worth paying only for the bulb. Call or contact the store and ask if the bulb they sell is exactly the same or "similar". If it's not exact, buy from Sony.

Collapse -
It's probably not the bulb?

This is my second incident with the "bulb". The first time I had a similar failure, I got a replacement bulb. This was not the failure. The failure is the Power Block, within the monitor. I found out the hard way. I now have an "extra" functional bulb. It appears Sony has a class action suit pending, due to "shoddy" manufacturing. The Power Block, within the Monitor is the culprit. And, by the way, don't expect Sony to be forthcoming with that info. They will gladly sell you as many bulbs as you are willing to buy, but will never mention the real problem; the Power Block. Right now, I am waiting for one of their super techs to come out and fix the "actual" problem. Up to 3 weeks wait, some time between 8am and 5pm. Oh, by the way, Sony knew of this manufacturing defect, at least one year before they were selling (and were continuing to sell) these units. Trust in manufacturing.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!