General discussion

Sony PSP web design

I am trying to create a website designed for viewing on a sony PSP and want to make videos downloadable to the PSP directly from the site. However for some reason when inserting links to files formatted for the sony PSP a page of random characters is generated rather than a prompt to donwload the file to the PSP. Does anyone know why this is the case and how to resolve it?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Sony PSP web design
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sony PSP web design
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is the machine running Windows?

In short someone didn't tell Windows how to handle the file type. This is not done on the web site's html code but on each machine.

Bob

- Collapse -
Using the PSP browser

You mean when browsing on a PC? I am looking to provide a web page that a user can browse using their sony PSP and whilst in this environment download a video file in mp4 format (required for playback on the PSP) directly without having to browse a web page on their PC, download the file, and then transfer it to their PSP using the relevant software. Im trying to make the most out of the wifi and internet browsing capabilities of the PSP but not being able to download the mp4 files directly is rather annoying! I've browsed pages before on the PSP and managed to download mp4 files direct to it and play them back no problem and the coding doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary. What could I be missing?!

- Collapse -
Could be as simple as the name.

One person found that 1.mp4 is not the same as 1.MP4. Since you have the PSP and I don't you'll have to look at the web page that worked and it's source code.

Bob

- Collapse -
I tried everything!!

I tried renaming the files with several different versions. I even tried renaming one to be exactly the same as a file I managed to download from another site using the PSP! It may have to be something I re-investigate. When you say someone found that 1.mp4 wasn't the same as 1.MP4, what were they doing with the file and what did they find? Was one not readable or downloadable on the PSP?

- Collapse -
Details.

Sorry, but details are too sparse here. I didn't know in your first post the PSP browser was in use. I don't have the web links to compare code and names so I'm working in a bit of a vacuum.

Tell a tiny bit more.

Bob

- Collapse -
What happens if ...

you copy that file you succesfully downloaded from that other site to your own site and try to download from there? Keep everything (filename) the same: it's just an experiment.

Kees

- Collapse -
Sounds familar

It's the same as making a website for a mobile phone and making ringtones to download.

Two issues I see over and over, and maybe one of them is yours...

(1) MIME Types
Depending on where the file is hosted, the problem could be that you don't have MIME types setup. Cell phones use mp4 as well, but if you don't setup the MIME type on the server, it will display the "code" as you say. So, if you are sure MIME types are setup correctly on the server for the PSP, go to problem #2.

(2) Descriptor Files
Usually a link can not be directed DIRECTLY to the mp4 file. For example, on a PC, if you click http://domain.com/test.mp4 it would stream the file, if you right-click save as, you would save the file, but on cell phones (and Im sure PSP's) you need one extra file called a descriptor file. So for example you would click the link on your PSP, and it would go to http://domain.com/test.EXT (EXT=whatever the descriptor file extension is for PSP, for cell phones its GCD), and on the file.EXT, which contains size, name, path, and other variables, it will then automatically link to the mp4, making it able to download the file.

(3) Content
Some cell phones, and I don't know about PSP, have to have the actual media in a certain format. For example although it's mp4, maybe your frame rate has to be at a certain count per second on order to make it even viewable, but I think that's more of an issue with cell phones rather than PSP's.

Hope this helps.

~Sovereign

CNET Forums

Forum Info