Question

Sony PS3's Photo Gallery for showing your very best images??

I've already tried using two different Windows based slide show programs and both are sorely lacking. Typically I'll set up a slide show using my 5 year old PC. I then run the image files over to a large screen HDTV for optimum viewing. At first I got into a rut by always using the XP Slide Show option found in My Pictures. That was okay....for awhile. But then I became disappointed about not being able to set the view time, or alter the view time in any way (the default view time is around 6 seconds - much too fast if the image is photo contest worthy). And I was disappointed that the files always played in alphabetical/numerical order (no shuffle mode, darn it), which over the course of time became a problem.

I then discovered XP's Screen Saver, something I had never had a use for.

When I discovered it I was very surprised to see that you could set the view time for as long as three minutes. That was great for showing images! Even better, it did not play the files in sequential order! But after a week of testing Screen Saver it did not appear to really shuffle the images as good as it should have... all 2,354 of them. That's a lot of images. But even with all of those images there appeared to be a small amount of redundancy built into XP's Screen Saver, which is no good and a bit of a buzz-kill when you're having a slide show in front of friends.

And so now I'm off to buy my first thumb drive, something I'd never done before, since I never had the need for one until now. And that's because I realize I have a PS3 sitting ten feet away from me. I'm a casual gamer, nothing hardcore. I rarely use my PS3. I barely remembered I had a PS3. The 2,354 images I referred to are kept in a folder and are 4 GB's worth of data. I just took a look at PS3's Photo Gallery and it looks as if it has quite a few options for a user to employ, which is very interesting.

I'll find out how good their software is when when I obtain the thumb drive that'll allow me to transfer the images from my computer over to PS3.

Until then I can only hope that the PS3 program offers the user a wider variance of view times to select from so it doesn't always run at one continuous warp speed the way the slide show in My Pictures does. And I hope it has a shuffle mode, which is what it should have if their developers had their heads on straight when they originally drew up the software's blueprint.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Sony PS3's Photo Gallery for showing your very best images??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sony PS3's Photo Gallery for showing your very best images??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Slide Show

You will not find a free slide show that will provide the features you need.

Many years ago I spent most of a year trying to find a slide show program that would provide what I want.

I found one and have been using it for years and have made over 100 slide shows with it,
Including three wedding slide shows.

It is not free ($70).

However, you can download a trial copy that lets you use all the features and see if it can do what you want.

ProShow Gold
by Photodex

You can find it by doing a Google or Bing search

- Collapse -
Answer
If we go back to the PC.

In about 20 lines of Basic "code" you could do what you want. Maybe another 20 for shuffle.

Visual Basic Express is free to use and can get this done. But I've noticed that folk will hunt forever for an app rather than create their own even when it's a trivial page of code.
Bob

- Collapse -
First results are in

I used PS3's Photo Gallery last night for the first time. I ran it for several hours. That means I'm still too new to render a verdict. But at this point all I can say is that I fully understand the people who leave comments at Amazon that say that they don't use PS3 for games they use it as a media center. And you know what? In due time I might have to echo the same comment. That's because, at this point, PS3's Photo Gallery appears to be a wonderful photo viewing program for hardcore amateurs and pro's alike.

For running slide shows it appears to be much better than XP's Screen Saver, Google Picasa and Canon Zoom Browser. Nintendo Wii has a photo software program but the current version of Wii does not have high definition so Wii is not an option. I don't know if Microsoft X-box has a quality photo viewing software program like PS3 has.

Great news: PS3 Photo Gallery allows a user to run their slide show in sequential order or in shuffle mode, which the aformentioned programs like Google Picasa, Windows XP Screen Saver, and Canon Zoom Browser do not allow. During a slide show a PS3 user has complete control, you can go back, forward, pause or change settings from the comfort of your sofa or bed with PS3's remote control.

I do have one complaint. At this point my one complaint is that PS3's shuffle functionality doesn't appear to shuffle the 2000 plus images I have in one folder as good as it should. There seems to be a little redundancy. But that might be due to the file name. I'm not a programmer, but I think the fix to something like that would be to use a software program to rename all 2000 plus images. I'll rename those files and then I'll test PS3's slide show again to see if I can get a little better diversity and a little better behavior from the shuffle functionality.
http://www.snapfiles.com/opinions/Rename_Master/Rename_Master.html

CNET Forums

Forum Info