Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony p8 or Canon A75?

by gamergeek / June 9, 2004 3:02 PM PDT

I simply can not choose.
They are both priced right now at $249.99

They are both 3.2 mp, both have video with sound (which was important to me), both have solid casings, both have 3x zoom.

Differences:
P8 is more compact. Will record movies until memory fills up (not like 2 1/2 minute tops like A75), and uses Info-Lithium batteries.

A75 has a few more features in regards to shooting modes, but I'm a novice. Uses AA batteries. Has digic processor. Supposedly Canon makes a better camera lens than the Sony p8.

For those of you who can look at the specs and give me what you think is a better buy for my money and for my uses (home camera, family photos, print and share. Must be fast!) I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony p8 or Canon A75?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony p8 or Canon A75?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Sony p8 or Canon A75?
by snapshot / June 10, 2004 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony p8 or Canon A75?

You might take a look at what owners of those cameras say about them.

Here is a link, look under the "Problems" heading of each of the postings. Sometimes an owner finds something that you may have overlooked. You can then judge if it is a problem for you.

When looking at owner's reviews just remember that there is always at least one "old grouch" who doesn't like anything; and usually a few cheery souls who love everything.

Sony P8
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=sony_dscp8

Canon A70 (no data on the A75 yet)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=canon_a70

Collapse -
Re: Sony p8 or Canon A75?
by jump1127 / June 12, 2004 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony p8 or Canon A75?

For the picture quality, the Sony model you choose can't really compete with CanonA75. Besides, Sony's memory stick is quite more expensive and limited to the brand than that of Canon. Comparing the features, Canon slightly edged out Sony, such as the adjusting range of shutter speed and apperture, and other specific picture functions. Battery seem to be the only edge Sony provided better than Canon. Besides, Canon software is much easier to use than Sony's unless you're familiar to Sony accessories. Good luck ..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!