Laptops forum

General discussion

Sony LT - PCG GRX650 - LCD gone???

What do you experts think of this? Sony VAIO PCG GRX650 - XP Home - HDD 20% full. One day, turned it on - screen looks black as night - no video. Boots up, I see the SONY logo mid screen but it's orang-ey. Logo jiggles a little, flickers wildly for 1/2 second then disappears to black. As the system continues booting I can juuuust barely see the Windows log on. If you're not right on top of it, and at the right angle, you'd think the screen is still black. There are two users and if I very carefully watch the screen and at the right angle, I can hit either one and get logged on. Again, I can just barely (and I mean BARELY) see the desktop, the icons, the Start Menu/Task Bar.

OK, I know what you're thinking, hit Fn-F4 to bring up the brightness. It's already maxxed out. How do I know? Because I can pipe into an external VGA monitor and the video is perfect. The VAIO toggles between LCD only - LCD and External - No video without complaint. I see that the brightness OSD indicator (BARELY visible on the LCD, fully visible on the ext monitor) for brightness is fully white (means it's maxxed). That tells me the integ graphic array probably isn't damaged. This unit is TV-aware and has provisions for two screens in XP's Video Props panel. When I "identify" a big number "1" appears. It will not identify screen 2 because no TV is asserted.

Since I know very little about the VAIO, what conclusion should I draw? LCD is toast, and we should find the nearest junk heap? There's a control in the BIOS for this that I haven't found (can't see the BIOS screens that well either)? The back-lighting is turned off and you haven't figured out how to turn it on? There's a loose connector somewhere and I have to rip everything apart in the case to find it? The power supply/battery chain hasn't got enough juice to run the LCD? Pay the $700 to have the LCD replaced?

What's the concerted opinion of you folks?

Thanks.

H

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony LT - PCG GRX650 - LCD gone???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony LT - PCG GRX650 - LCD gone???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DIM SONY

In reply to: Sony LT - PCG GRX650 - LCD gone???

Take it to a competent tech and have checked, sounds like possibly a backlight issue, firs thing to look at.

Collapse -
Good chance

CCFL or inverter has puked.

Collapse -
P.S.

In reply to: Good chance

Collapse -
Yes - that's the model

In reply to: P.S.

And it's going to go back to its owner with the assesment that it isn't worth fixing. As I said, I don't have much experience with VAIOs (or laptops in general - too fumblefingered..)

Thanks good people - just confirmed my suspicions...

Collapse -
I'd

In reply to: Yes - that's the model

Tell the owner to hook it up to an external monitor and just use it as a desktop pc.

Collapse -
sounds like

most probably the inverter has gone.
try wiggling the screen back and forth to check its not a cable.
when the screens go they usually get lines or just crack.
if you can see a faint image its the back light/inverter.
its situated underneath the display but take care if you gonna replace it yourself - the display plastic/bezel can be a nightmare to remove without breaking.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.