Sony forum

General discussion

Sony LCD Reliability: BALONEY!

by stev52 / January 9, 2010 11:55 PM PST

Mobile TV, OLED, 3D?

Why go there when the big boys can't master 2D HDTV?

You don't need 3D glasses to see what is perfectly wrong here.

My 2 year old Sony KDL46v3000 HDTV was an investment in a name brand gone bad. The tecon board is shot. It's something I'm told that processes the digital signal to make beautiful pictures. The board can't be purchased separately from the panel, which is the actual screen.

So, the repair is over $1,500.00. I had nothing more than the manufacturer's one year warranty. I thought about the extended but didn't for one reason: It's a Sony- a reliable name brand, or so I thought. That's like going to Vegas with a can't lose bet and then suddenly losing the house.

The certified Sony tech who worked on the set says he's seen this tecon board problem a few times. Too bad for me. It was my first HDTV purchase

I'm now in the market for a new TV- probably LCD. The question is: stay with the name brand or go lower end? I mean, after all, what's the point of going with a higher price name brand (i.e., Sony) when televisions have now become disposable items?

I'm following up with Sony. A nice customer service tech logged my call and said somebody will contact me. I wonder what Sony will do to keep me as a customer? My guess is probably nothing. Too bad for them.

In the meantime, has anyone seen my rabbit ears?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony LCD Reliability: BALONEY!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony LCD Reliability: BALONEY!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The same here in Brasil
by Regina3661 / November 17, 2010 8:53 PM PST

Yes, the same happened here, and the CO told us that is a unusual problem.
What a shame!!!

Collapse -
I too had a crap kdl46v3000
by cakgwd02 / November 25, 2010 4:35 AM PST

Sony KDL46V3000 has a design flaw?
I believe there is a design flaw with this TV. The manual controls for the TV are located on the top center preventing proper heat ventilation for the LCD panel and tcon pcb curcuit board directly under it. This is the likely cause of a heat related LCD failure.
Posted by average joe consumer at 11:33 AM 0 comments Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz
Labels: kdl46v3000
Thursday, July 22, 2010Sony LCD TVs are Samsung or Sharp LCDs
Did you folks know that Sony LCD TVs are actually made with either Sharp or Samsung LCD panels. I found this out when my Sony KDL46V3000 LCD TV panel failed at 18 months and out of warranty. I checked to see if just replacing the TCON pcb at about $49, would fix the single vertical red line problem in the middle of my display. I noted the part number for both the TCON pcb and the LCD panel was a Samsung part number. It turns out they must be replaced together, and the LCD panel costs more than the TV is worth.

I paid a premium for the Sony brand name believing it to be more durable than Samsung or Sharp. Therefore it would seem that the smarter purchase for this Joe consumer would have been to buy the Samsung or Sharp and use the Sony premium difference to pay for the extended warranty. It turns out there is a pretty high failure rate in LCD panels, and they are not repairable.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-lj94-01837h-t-con-board.htm
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100528202127AA5hSbn
Posted by average joe consumer at 7:20 PM 0 comments Email This BlogThis! Share to Twitter Share to Facebook Share to Google Buzz

Collapse -
Sony Wega Problem
by Sherry007 / November 27, 2010 2:05 AM PST

I spent $1500 on a 40 inch Sony Wega HDTV a few years ago. Right after the warranty expired, a red stripe appeared across the bottom of the screen. Then a green one appeared across the top. I called Sony techs, and they swore they had no idea what I was talking about. Now, blue and yellow stripes are bleeding vertically. Is this a TCON problem? Does anyone out there know? A TV repairman wanted to replace the motherboard for more than the set was worth! We're shopping for a new HDTV, but will never buy another Sony. The product doesn't last too long and the customer service stinks.

Collapse -
Re: Sony Wega
by Sherry007 / November 27, 2010 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Sony Wega Problem

To answer my own posting, I just found out that the problem I encountered is an optical block defect. A class action lawsuit is pending against Sony who knowingly continued selling TVs with this defective part.
I'll never buy another Sony!

Collapse -
Sony Wega KDF-50E2000
by Whodini22 / January 24, 2011 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Sony Wega

DITTO...same problem same answer: "YOU R ON YOUR OWN"

Collapse -
Buying a better TV
by Dan Filice / February 3, 2011 5:41 AM PST

Try buying one of the TV brands that have no problems, like Best Buy's Dynex or Insignia brands, or a Vizio. Or do like I did and buy two Samsungs that were defective out of the box. Or maybe a Mitsubishi, because there's a link here with over 400 replies about defective displays. Unfortunately electronic components are like cars: Some don't have any problems, others have constant problems. I'd still go with a brand name. I have 2 Sony LCDs with no problems so far after many years. Same with my Toshiba LCD, my Panasonic Plasma and Panasonic LCD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.