Laptops forum

General discussion

Sony laptops and customer service

by Stryder13 / February 27, 2006 1:08 PM PST

2 questions.

1: I have read that in the past Sony's customer service made Alienware's look like a gift from Heaven (no offense to Alienware fans, I just have personally had terrible experiences with Alienware's support...perhaps I had a lemon?) I also read that Sony's head honcho for its laptops division (sorry, don't know his name) said that Sony recognized the problem and promised a vast improvement in service. Does anyone know if they have made good on their word?

2. I am very interested in the Sony SZ series. But as its graphics card, the SZ lists "NVIDIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony laptops and customer service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony laptops and customer service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony (of rootkit fame)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2006 11:13 PM PST

Sony and their rootkit shows their true nature. If you have followed Sony over the years, the nature of the company has not changed (rootkit as the prime example.)

Sony continues to think of it's customers as the enemy and should be avoided when possible. Sadly as their sales decline the likely response is more attacks on the customers (see the recent DVD rootkit debacle.)

-> About the graphics. ANY shared memory graphic system usually underperforms a dedicated RAM and chipset solution. If you want to play games, get the dedicated RAM solution. If you play DVDs, solitaire, get the GMA since you'll get more time on the battery.

Bob

Collapse -
clarification
by csolo / February 28, 2006 10:03 PM PST
In reply to: Sony (of rootkit fame)

so does that mean that the NVIDIA

Collapse -
Dedicated chip and video memory is preferred for gamers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2006 4:20 AM PST
In reply to: clarification

If you don't play 3D games, you can get more battery time with GMA.

Sorry, but Sony burnt us badly at the office years ago and continues their behaviour in very odd ways. You will find sporadic good times with them.

Bob

Collapse -
Sony has been good to me.
by PlasmaDealer / February 28, 2006 11:28 PM PST

My Sony TX had the LCD go out on it. Not sure why but it just went crazy. Sony Fed-Ex'ed me a box with a return label and are working on it now. They said they will fed ex the unit back when she is fixed. I can't ask for more then that. Also the Rep. I talked to was very nice and helpful. I plan on buying the SZ when they start shipping the Pro line. I think Sony has got A LOT better with service over the last few years. Go Sony!

John
Naples Fla.

For the record I am a Sony Fan, I have a Sony Desktop, Sony 19? LCD, TR2AP Laptop,
The TX610P, two PSP?s, Digital camera and will be ordering the SZ160 and a Custom FE. I have been very happy so far.

Collapse -
Video Card
by clair fogg / March 1, 2006 2:22 AM PST

I have been thinking about getting a Sony SZ to upgrade from my IBM Thinkpad T40. I like the form factor, the power, but not the keyboard (it might just be me) so you might want to head to your local comp store and check it out first.

About the video cards, they are designed to be able to switch from one to another. So if you aren't going to game and don't need the NVIDIA card then you turn it off and use the onboard graphics card (to save power, and most likely produce less heat) it is switched via a switch above the keyboard (although I think it prompts you for a restart).

To my knowledge the NVIDIA card has 128 megs on the card with another 128 megs that it can share using its TurboCache system.

Collapse -
thanks for the help!
by Stryder13 / March 1, 2006 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Video Card

Thanks to all of you who replied, your input has been very helpful! One more question, has anyone heard whispers of a new Sony laptop to be unveiled in the next 6 months? I know, it is impossible to keep up with technology, but I am curious about the Pentium Memrom (spelling?).....

Thank you again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.