Laptops forum

General discussion

SONY laptop displays a" BIOS hardware update needed "message

Hi
My Sony PCG-GRX550 diplays a closely resembling message as follows:
The hardware is not BIOS compliant and it has to be updated. Go to www.hardware-update.com. If this is the first time you get this message, continue with what you are doing. Otherwise turn off ACPI compliance in BIOS settings by pressing F7 key.
It dumps a memory log at the end of this
This happens everytime I restart or click hibernate. I am new to computers and would appreciate any help. I am not even able to goto the BIOS settings because it doesn't go to the advance boot up menu now when I restart. After I restart, it gives me an option delete the restoration data and continue with system boot menu. If I press this, the system boots
normally. Since it is not hibernating, is it a memory problem. If so, how do I check if RAM has gone kaput? Windows also displays a message that computer has recovered from a serious problem.
Also, even if the computer is connected to AC power, I get a battery low symbol. But if press the cord connected to the notebook, it goes away. Does that look like a AC adapter problem.
Since my notebook has a wireless card, I tend to do use the laptop on sofa, bed etc. Only after reading the messages here, I realized that you should not do that. Are these all caused by overheating? Where do I use the CAnner air on the laptop. I have no idea where the heatfans are located. Would a cooling pad make a difference? If so I would like some recommendations please.
This is a 3 yr old laptop. Would I be better off buying a newer laptop than fixing all these problems?
Sorry about the length of the post.
TIA
Vidya

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SONY laptop displays a" BIOS hardware update needed "message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SONY laptop displays a" BIOS hardware update needed "message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You should get it fixed.

In reply to: SONY laptop displays a" BIOS hardware update needed "message

Too bad you didn't note the OS. I can't point you to a needed web site.

ikenfixit.com will fix that power cord issue for not much. I can't quote for them, but do ask.

From memory, something virus like was involved with that web site. I could make a safe bet the machine has some virus, trojan or spyware.

Bob

Collapse -
Found it. Not a virus, just out of date OS.

In reply to: SONY laptop displays a" BIOS hardware update needed "message

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1205151,00.asp explains the web site.

But from memory, that reference was removed in subsequent Service Packs to both Windows 2000 and XP. The message for XP now reads:

''The ACPI Bios in this system is not fully compliant to the specification. Please read the Readme.txt for possible workarounds, or contact your system vendor for an updated bios.

The bios in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor for an updated bios. If you are unable to obtain an updated bios or the latest bios supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F7 key was pressed--it will silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.''

Bob
Collapse -
Thank you! Do I contact Sony for bios update?

In reply to: Found it. Not a virus, just out of date OS.

I had already contacted customer service at Sony. They asked me to download a bios update from their website for some minor Bios issue. The website wasn't even working for that particular link. My warranty period is over and my OS is windows XP Professional. Please let me know what else I could do?
Thanks
Vidya

Collapse -
At this point...

In reply to: Thank you! Do I contact Sony for bios update?

Sony has an attitude that you will use the machine with the OS supplied till you replace the machine. It shows in their lacking support web site.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Basic InPut - Basic OutPut - Basic DownLoad - Basic Update..

In reply to: Thank you! Do I contact Sony for bios update?

BIOS updates are not os specific and in
most cases addresses specific problems/fixes
which can help your older hardware work better
in newer OS environments.

try here:
http://snipurl.com/index.php

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That URL does seem to help.

In reply to: Basic InPut - Basic OutPut - Basic DownLoad - Basic Update..

Collapse -
Try again...

In reply to: (NT) That URL does seem to help.

Collapse -
It doesn't work for me!

In reply to: Try again...

When I click on this link, it keeps downloading for a long time and nothing happens and I get a comment bad url in the bottom of the browser. This was the same page I had used earlier.
I also forgot to mention that I am unable to start the laptop once it is turned off. I have to keep turning it on several times to get it started. Do you think, the battery is the problem. If so, how would it start sometimes. Thanks for trying to help me.
Vidya

Collapse -
Try that link again...

In reply to: It doesn't work for me!

PH-A06B00802JW.EXE has been downloaded to my machine and if you use the contact button on my profile and supply a contact email address, maybe we can find another way to get it to you.

The internet is not a stable thing, so try again.

Bob

Collapse -
I have updated my profile!

In reply to: Try that link again...

You can send the link to me by email. Could you please send it!
Thank you
Vidya

Collapse -
The link is the one posted.

In reply to: I have updated my profile!

I downloaded the file in case you need to find another way to get it.

Bob

Collapse -
Houston....

In reply to: It doesn't work for me!

>>I am unable to start the laptop once it is turned >>off. I have to keep turning it on several times to >>get it started. Do you think, the battery is the >>problem

You need to bring your machine in. If you can't
turn on the laptop with the AC plugged in, then
it has nothing to do with the battery.

why don't you just CALL SONY SUPPORT at their
toll free 800 number and get it over with.

you also have a network problem as the link
works for everyone else.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.