TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony KDS-R60XBR2 or Samsung HL-S6188W

by Dexter Chord / November 10, 2006 10:19 PM PST

Hi,

I would like to buy a new HDTV within a few weeks or so. I've been doing months of research and I've narrowed it down to either the Sony KDS-R60XBR2 or Samsung HL-S6188W (I'm slightly leaning towards the Sony, but it still could go either way). I want to choose the best one. I've been doing so much research and I've seen so my different opinions.
To tell you a little bit about my situation - I like to watch a lot of TV (including movies and sports), I plan to get Digital Cable with HD, I'm a big video gamer and I plan to get the Playstation 3. This TV will be on a stand, and I'll be sitting approx 14 ft away from the screen. Sunlight is not much of an issue. I'm looking for the HDTV with the best picture thats also reliable. I hope to keep this TV for a good amount of years. Hopefully this helps give you a better understanding about my circumstances.

Just a few questions also:

1. I saw both TVs at my nearby Circuit City. They both looked fantastic. I thought the Sony did have slightly better picture. My only question is that, I don't know if it's just me, but the Sony seems to be wider, but the height looks shorter than the Samsung. Maybe it's just an optical allusion because of the speakers that stick out. I know the Sony is 1" shorter diagonally, but would you happen to know the differences in screen size between the 2 TVs? I don't want the screen to look extra wide.

2. Is it possible to get the "green blob" or dead pixels on the Sony?

Thank You!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony KDS-R60XBR2 or Samsung HL-S6188W
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony KDS-R60XBR2 or Samsung HL-S6188W
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please
by Dexter Chord / November 11, 2006 12:39 PM PST

Please - I plan to buy a new TV this week and would just like some opinions.

Thanks

Collapse -
I'D BUY THE SONY KDS-R60XBR2 IN A NEW YORK SECOND!!!
by Riverledge / November 12, 2006 6:14 AM PST

EXCELLENT CHOICE. Think you'll be happy with it for many years.
As for the one inch screensize difference you'll never notice.
Viewing distance of 13' to 15' sounds about perfect! The speakers do give the SONY a wider look, but it's just an illusion.

Green blob; a issue from the distant past.

In short, you can't do any better for rear-projection than the XBR2.

Go with your gut buy the SONY.

Best shopping, river.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!