HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony KDS-60A3000 or KDS-R60XBR2 ?

by KvSt / October 15, 2007 10:21 PM PDT

I'm in the market for a new RPTV.
Went to the Sony Store. Can't decide between the Sony KDS-60A3000 or KDS-R60XBR2.
Since the R60XBR2 won't get a new model, I would have to get the current model. Pros: picture is very nice and brighter than A300. Lots of great reviews. Cons: the 60A3000 seems to have a couple of tech advantages: 24 frame conversion and higher herz rate.
According to the CNET review, the difference in brightness and extra feature is not worth the extra price, but that difference is now down to $500. CNET also says that the difference in brightness is hard to see. There are only a few reviews on the 60A3000 since it's so new, but virtually all positive.
I'm torturing myself with the decision. I don't care about the extra $500. Probably either is a very good choice, but, of course, I want to optimize it.
Any thoughts anybody?
Thanks, Klaus

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony KDS-60A3000 or KDS-R60XBR2 ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony KDS-60A3000 or KDS-R60XBR2 ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jonnybones / October 17, 2007 7:43 AM PDT

If I had the extra money I would buy the XBR2. I have seen them both and the XBR2 looks way better to me. With that said, I don't know your financial situation or more importantly how you perceive what looks good and doesn't. You could also go with an XBR4 though that will probably cost even more.

Collapse -
Decided on XBR2; does it upscale?
by KvSt / October 17, 2007 10:22 PM PDT
In reply to: .

Thanks for your reply. I came to the same conclusion; the XBR2 looks better, plus it's been out for a year and the comments from all over have been almost all EXTREMELY positive. The A3000 is new and there are few comments out from users.
I don't like the harsh LCD picture, plus I wanted to have 60" set.

BTW, does anybody know the following: Does the XBR2 upscale, or should I get an upscaling DVD player

Collapse -
It upscales
by RustyDallas / October 17, 2007 11:24 PM PDT

I have one and also bought the OPPO DV-981 DVD player. Even though I love the player, it's hard to tell the picture quality I get with it from my previous DVD player that probably cost like 50.00. I'm told it's because the XBR-2's upscaler does such a good job on it's own.

Rusty

Collapse -
All HD-TVs...
by stuntman_mike / October 18, 2007 2:50 AM PDT

will scale the source to match it's native resolution. Whether that be upscaling or down-scaling. So yes the XBR2 will upscale. It does a very good job of upscaling DVDs, which I assume is what you are most concerned with, but there are still DVD players with upconversion that do it better. There probably are, but I have not seen any DVD players that have HDMI and do not upscale to 1080i or 1080p. So you will probably still need to get an upscaling DVD player because you will want to hook it up to the TV via HDMI for the best picture and sound. Going with a DVD player that has only component will not yield the type of results that I would consider acceptable. And, most probably, the DVD player with component will not upscale.

Collapse -
When I first got my Oppo...
by RustyDallas / October 18, 2007 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: All HD-TVs...

I hooked up both it and my old DVD player to my TV and watched the same movie on both because I was curious about how much differance there would be. My old player doesn't upscale and is analog. I wouldn't say there was no differance but it was so slight that no one would probably notice. About the only thing I saw at all was when an actor's white shirt was against a white background, their was a slightly noticable glow on the edges of the shirt when watching on the old player. Other than that, I couldn't see any differance at all. I was surprised, though I didn't bother to return the OPPO. Had I known how little differance there would be before I ordered it, however, I wouldn't have bothered.

Rusty

Collapse -
But getting back to your original topic...
by stuntman_mike / October 18, 2007 4:13 AM PDT

if it were me I would get the A3000. The A2000 and A2020 were basically the same as the XBR2 aside from a few bells and whistles. The XBR2 had PIP, an extra lamp, a brighter lamp, and slightly better standard def. Better standard def to me is no big deal. I watch as little standard def as possible because it still looks bad compared to HD. There is no way to make it look good on an HDTV to me. The brighter bulb is also not a big deal as the A2000 and A2020, and I assume the A3000, are plenty bright enough. You might even use the power saving option on the XBR2 which would dim the brightness anyway, so again no big deal. The A3000 is cheaper than the XBR2. I don't know about you but even with the step up features, which I feel are overblown, I have a hard time justifying paying more for a model that is over a year old. The A3000 has HDMI 1.3. Yes I know, there is nothing that currently takes advantage of it yet, but if you buy a PS3, which also has HDMI 1.3, you will be protected when, and I emphasize when, they start making 1.3 Blu-rays and PS3 games. Lastly the A3000 has 120hz motion. I have not seen the A3000 in person but if it does as good a job as it does on the XBR4, which I have seen runnjing a Blu-ray via HDMI, then that is another plus. Although the 120hz doesn't work as well on the XBR4 as it does on Samsungs 71F and 81F series, it still is quite noticable and makes quite the good impression. I can only imagine how great sports would look.

That's my two cents. Hope you make the right decision for you.

Good luck

Collapse -
But getting back to your original topic...
by Logansneo / October 22, 2007 6:24 PM PDT

For what it's worth, according to the manual the A3000 accepts 1080p through VGA input, and the XBR2 doesn't! I have also seen the A3000 side by side with the Samsung 120hz model and felt that they both did an extremely similar job of adapting the source Blu-Ray material to 120hz. But I still have to wait a little while before I buy my A3000, darnit!

Collapse -
Sony DLP
by Briland8 / November 19, 2007 5:13 AM PST

I just ordered the KDS-60A3000 . . and am having second thoughts . . I was about to order the Samsung LCD 57" when I saw the Sony in a local store. I liked the fact that the 60" wil fit in the wall unit I have without much carpentry as I would have to do with the Samsung. And teh Sony is half the price.

Part of me thinks this is due to flat panel size but I worry about the Sony quality. A Home Theatre guy told me the Sony "aint what they used to be".

Am I nuts to go DLP for the extra 3" vs a 57" LCD??

Collapse -
Sony. Samsung, 120Hz
by Dan Filice / November 19, 2007 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: Sony DLP

Briland8,

Your friendly Home Theater guy is feeding you a line that has no factual backing when he says "Sony ain't what they used to be." Compared to what older Sony? To an old Sony CRT? My family member has a Sony RPTV from 4 years ago, and based on that, Sony is producing a TV that is much better now. From my own personal experience with two Samsungs, I would never buy a Samsung. There is no "perfect" TV that will be problem free, but after having to return two different defective Samsung's in the same month, that was enough for me. But, there may be someone with the same experience with Sony, so as I said, this is based on my personal experience. As far as the posters here discussing the 120Hz pros and cons, it seems as though they are trying to use the 120Hz on standard broadcast material (like Sports, as someone mentioned). The 120Hz TVs have a specific HDMI input for 120Hz/1080p/24fps source material. The ONLY time you will see any benefit from this is when you use a source that shows material recorded in the same specs. Trying to watch HD broadcast, or standard DVDs, or using an upconverting DVD player won't benefit at all from the 120Hz option.

Collapse -
Sony DLP v SAMSUNG LCD
by Briland8 / November 19, 2007 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: Sony. Samsung, 120Hz

Thank you very much for your reply.

The Sony XBR is simply to large for my wall unit, and which is what makes the KDS60A3000 appealing to me.

Another home theatre outfit guy told me to go with teh larger DLP v a smaller LCD .

I am replacing a 7 year old Mitsu 55" Diamond rear projection unit . . so I am sure the new Sony will be fine.

What about teh LCD v DLP question? Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Sony KDS60A3000
by Briland8 / November 19, 2007 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Sony. Samsung, 120Hz

One more thing . . . Do you know the contrast ratio of this set?

The Samsung 57 LED DLP reports 10,000:1.

I think the Sony is 8000:1. Is this readilly discerable?

Collapse -
I made a decision (responding to my own original post)
by KvSt / November 19, 2007 6:00 AM PST

After agonizing about my decision and reading posts, going 3 times to the Sony store, etc I finally decided on the KDS-R60XBR2.
And I couldn't be happier; the picture is absolutely gorgeous; I can't imagine anything looking better.
I don?t know, of course whether I?d be equally happy with the KDS-60A3000, but I can safely say this: If you go with the KDS-R60XBR2 you will NOT regret it, unless, of course, it blows up next week, which based on how long the model has been out there, is unlikely.
In fact, the fact that I was buying something that?s been on the market for over a year with very few reported problems was a factor in my decision, besides that the picture was a bit brighter than the KDS-60A3000.
My father once told me: don?t buy the new model of a car, buy the one they?ve been making for a while and that?s what I did.

Collapse -
Sony vs. Samsung 60" units
by walkoffhomerun / December 26, 2007 12:03 PM PST

I have first hand input on the Samsung models. If you are trying to compare the Sony to the Samsung I can tell you that the Sony is a superior unit. I have the Samsung 6176 model. Great looking unit, incredible picture - LOTS of problems and i am not the only one.

common problems with theses units are "bowing" or "curving" of the picture at the top or in my case the lower right corner. hard to see during regular television but I use Hi-Def DirecTV and you can really see the bowing when you go to the guide with horizontal lines. The lines curve and wave all over the place. It is something inside the unit you cant fix. Have read other posts on other sites where there is more than a common problem.
Another problem is the my unit keeps cutting off on its own and has a bad buzzing sound when it turns off. Have no idea why it does this but the unit is less than 3 weeks old and it cutting off. not good at all. i am actively trying to make a decision on the Sony.

I think the Samsung 6187 has a slightly better picture and brightness over the Sony 60A3000 unit but marginal. But, i want my TV to stay on and not cut off so any tiny difference in picture is worth going with the sony.

The samsung is VERY flimsy. Very thin frame, which makes it look nice, but it also makes it flimsy and that is causing some of their problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.