Sony forum

General discussion

Sony KDL-52W3000 'Double Vision' / Blury

by MFinMO / April 25, 2010 11:26 PM PDT

At almost exactly the 2 year mark of owning this tv (which up until this point had been perfect), it developed double vision after about 20 minutes of being on. Before I could even discuss my problem with Sony I had to have an authorized Sony repair tech come look at it. $75 later, he says it's a bad panel and will cost $3000 to repair! That's more than I paid for the tv new 2 years ago?!!!

I realize it's no longer under warranty, but come on! Is it unreasonable to expect a $2500 tv to last longer than 2 years? I've never paid this much for any product that didn't last many years........I've got a 20 year old tv that still works great.

Sony 'customer relations' is a joke. While I'm still trying to get this resolved, I'm telling everyone I know DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM SONY! That is, unless you plan on buying new every 2 years.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony KDL-52W3000 'Double Vision' / Blury
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony KDL-52W3000 'Double Vision' / Blury
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Be aware that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2010 11:47 PM PDT

Other makers are not much better. Ready?

"Five year design life" is in most if not all consumer gear. Not that all make it to that point and some will make it longer but what you see on the shelves is designed to hit the price points and the short 1 year warranty period.

This is a repeat of the disaster in the 50's when color tubes were failing. If you are old enough you remember the move to 5, 8 and so many year warranties on the color tube.

My point is simple. This is not a Sony exclusive.
Bob

Collapse -
re:be aware
by hartlanders / April 26, 2010 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Be aware that

Bob you are right!I just priced a Sharp LCD panel
for a friend at encompass cost was 1650.00.You have
to pay for two inverter boards and controller board
also you can't just purchase the panel it's a package deal.
The purchase price for the set was around 850.00 when
bought.
edward

Collapse -
Understand, but still not happy
by MFinMO / April 26, 2010 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Be aware that

Bob,
While I don't discount at all what you're saying--in fact I've heard that before--it seems to me that electronics in general are the definition of planned obsolesence. However, I realize this when I buy them. And while I know that what I buy today will be old news next year, I still expect it to work when I'm forking out a few thousand dollars for it.

And when it breaks, I expect to be able to fix it for a reasonable price. If my $40,000 truck engine fails I can fix my truck for a LOT less than $40K. When my $1000 refrigerator quit......new compressor for a lot less than $1000K. And so on. If all consumer gear in this price range is geared to fail after the warranty is up, it would seem to me that consumers would quit buying 'gear' pretty quickly?

Collapse -
You got that right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2010 4:25 AM PDT

But the consumers are not up in arms (yet.) Here in the USA I see the old consumer protection agencies have been decimated and instead of getting on the job about this they side with makers. That is "did they meet the warranty?" and yes they did.

I don't remember what it took for consumers to get this fixed in the early color TV days but this appears to have to happen again.
Bob

Collapse -
Double vision/blurry image
by jrochel / August 9, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

I experienced the same problem with my KDL52W300. I bought it approximately 2 years and 4 months ago. Worked great till the middle of the World Cup then it happened. Same issue with an authorized Sony reapirman: "Change the panel" + shipping + installation/labor + tax = $3,200.00.(I bought it for $2,400.00). If that is the only solution then I'm gonna wait till it conks out and look for another brand to buy. My confidence in Sony is shaken. All my tvs at home till the 52" are Sony (Trinitron, up to the flat screen 36" and they still work great!). I have friends who bought the rear projection DLP and had to change the blulb after 2 year because of diminished brightness and that's why I bought the flat panel LCD, supposedly it would last longer. I guess Sony got me, but it will be only this one time!

Collapse -
What is Double Vision?
by volvogirl / August 11, 2010 4:29 AM PDT

I have a SONY 32". Sometimes when I change channel the first channel will stay frozen on the right 1/4 side of the screen and the new channel is working in the rest of the screen. Sometimes it happens twice so I get 2 frozen channels next to each other and 1 current working on the left third of the screen.

ALSO....I have Comcast HD Cable and sometimes when I hit the Guide and it comes up with the 4 channel TV guide at the bottom and then the Guide will get stuck there and stay frozen and the picture is squeezed above it. Then if I hit the Guide again I will have another Guide above the first frozen one.

I have to turn everything off and on to clear it. Does it sound like a TV or Cable problem?

...I know, I know, this belongs in it's own thread but the Double Vision sounded like it....

Collapse -
Sony Bravia BKDL-52W3000
by Grandmakitty / January 28, 2011 7:48 PM PST

We are having trouble also. We have had this TV for 3 years and have been very happy with it until now. It cycles off and back on and just keeps doing it. The repair man had a Sony Engineer on the phone and decided it was a certain part. It cost 600.00 dollars. TV worked good for 4 days then started the same thing again. Don't know what is going to happen at this point. What scares me is that we have another Sony Bravia in another room. We have always bought Sony products but no more. And, of course you never can talk to anyone at Sony that knows anything. It probably is true that this happens with other companies also but, who want's to take another chance with Sony; not me.

Collapse -
Fixxed
by davedavid85 / August 18, 2014 1:58 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!