TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony KDL-40V3000 vs. Sony KDL-40W3000

by daveyb3222 / August 14, 2007 12:04 PM PDT

I've looked all around but am having a problem trying to tell the difference between the KDL-40V3000 and KDL-40V3000 LCDs. Would appreciate any input from someone who knows.

Also, I'm really struggling with the issue of buying LCD vs. Plasma. I'm down to one of these two sets or the Panasonic TH-42PX77U. I understand at this screen size 720p vs. 1080p isn't much of a distinction. Can anyone advise if there should be any other consideration in deciding between the two other than my own opinion of picture quality. (And cost, too!)

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony KDL-40V3000 vs. Sony KDL-40W3000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony KDL-40V3000 vs. Sony KDL-40W3000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony W3000 versus v3000
by budrochester / August 18, 2007 9:53 AM PDT

A couple of obvious ones from Sony website

1. Picture freeze
2. Backlit remote
3. 3 HDMI ports (versus 2 for the V)
4. Claimed higher contrast (2000:1 versus 1800:1 on screen)
5. Supports expanded color space feature of HDMI 1.3

I would suggest the 3 versus 2 HDMI ports might be reason to spring for the extra $200 now that sony has dropped the price of both by another $200..

the Sony Style website has a neat compare feature. Check it out..

Good luck in making your choice...

Collapse -
ONE SUGGESTION IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING THE PANNY TH-42PX77U..
by Riverledge / August 20, 2007 10:31 AM PDT

LOOK INTO THE COSTCO MODEL: PANASONIC TH-42PC77U (SKU#400042) selling @ 1,499.99. It's the same HDTV as the PX77U with a custom COSTCO model number. Skip the PANNY/COSTCO TH-42PE77U, a lower grade TV.

AS for the SONY's, I don't think the W3000 is worth the extra price.

Again, check out COSTCO.

Best wishes in your hunt,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
PLASMA VS. LCD (flat); BIGGEST ISSUE TO ME IS..........
by Riverledge / August 20, 2007 10:44 AM PDT

OFF-ANGLE VIEWING. Plasma allows for a much wider viewing angle than LCDs do. Otherwise, not much difference, now that black-levels have improved.

River.

Collapse -
I prefer lcd than a plasma
by alvaro p. / February 13, 2008 8:59 AM PST

i'm about to buy a hdtv too and i'm between the sony KDL-40v3000 KDL-40w3000 i don't want a plasma because in the pass the plasma tvs had some troubles with the burning and all, also i understand than the lcd tvs last longer.
ps: i think if i can i will buy the w, its better....

Collapse -
Plasma
by ns387241 / February 13, 2008 1:16 PM PST

The plasma televisions have a similar lifespan - if not a better lifespan in some cases - to the LCD TV's. That is, 60,000hrs. average, 100,000hrs for Pioneer KURO models, which are worlds ahead of most flat panels. Troubles of the plasmas are widely publicized, whereas the troubles of LCD's are not. This does not mean in any way that LCD's are by any means reliable.

Generally speaking, the more moving parts there are in a system, the less reliable it is. LCD TV's have roughly 5.5 million more moving parts than CRT, DLP, or plasma (one may thank the 6 million twisting crystals inside an LCD panel). Most LCD's also use a toxic mercury-based flourecent backlight.

LCD's also have the issue of dead pixels, which is far more severe than the mild retention that even Hitachi (the most prone to image retention, or "burn in" as you call it) will give. LCD's also have image persistance, the LCD manufacturer's way of saying burn in. Look at most flat panel monitors in an airport, they have burn in, and are LCD. Fact of the matter is that burn in happens only in extreme situations. So long as you use the proper equipment and properly break-in the television, you hould have absolutely no problems at all, especially Panasonic and Pioneer panels.

In the matter of the Sony KDL-V3000 series versus the Sony KDL-W3000 series: The main features are the difference in HDMI inputs (2 versus 3), the trim (black laquer versus silver brushed aluminum), and Deep color support for the W3000 series. The W3000 also has a slightly higher on-screen contrast ratio (1,800:1 versus 2,000:1). The W3000 has picrure freeze and RS232.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.