TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony KDF-E50A10 for sports? Or should I go DLP?

by mlk18 / August 1, 2005 11:32 AM PDT

After months of research and reading I have decided on the Sony KDF-E50A10 50" rear-projection LCD television. I was all ready to buy and then I had at least three different sources tell me that I should avoid LCD if I am into watching sports. I am a huge football fan and watch every broadcast game I can. Should I still get the Sony or should I opt for a DLP television? I want a 42-50" screen and have about $2500 to spend. I like some of the Toshiba and Samsung DLP's but want some other opinions on the matter.

Thanks. mlk18

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony KDF-E50A10 for sports? Or should I go DLP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony KDF-E50A10 for sports? Or should I go DLP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony KDF-E50A10 for sports? Or should I go DLP?
by jcrobso / August 2, 2005 2:36 AM PDT

Go to a store and watch some sports programs on the TVs you are interested in. John

Collapse -
by hockeyfan4 / August 2, 2005 7:55 AM PDT

Im looking at the same thing as you, in the stores that I look at the projection LCD TV's with a HD signal look amazing although I do have a 20 year old Sony CRT that is about 25 inches siting in my living room that I call my main TV. Its time for a new one and I found the LCD projection Sony looked really great better then most DLP that were equaly in price. Although anything would look better than my TV now...It has been great never seen a repair man or shop

Collapse -
Sure......
by mlk18 / August 2, 2005 3:59 PM PDT

I would LOVE to go to a store and watch a football game, unfortunately I have never found a store that has an analog broadcast NFL game on hand for me to watch. All they seem to have is High-Definition satelite or a DVD with highlights, nothing in standard broadcast quality.

Collapse -
LCD vs. DLP
by rswanson / August 3, 2005 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure......

The LCD vs. DLP argument has been bebated probably more than any other recent topic in HD-land.

I own a Sony LCD RP set and can say that it's fine for sports. I went with LCD over DLP due to the fact that the picture was crisper and cleaner than DLP.

At the end of the day, go with the technology that looks best to you in-store when comparing the two.

For what its worth, a lot of folks say that the LCD sets display SD broadcasts better, but I think that is subjective as well. I do know that the A10 series of Sony sets is supposed to largely fix one of the major concerns with LCD RP technology, the lack of dark blacks & shadows.

Good luck

Collapse -
Sony it is
by mlk18 / August 4, 2005 4:49 PM PDT
In reply to: LCD vs. DLP

Thanks for the info. I went with the 42" Sony KDF-E42A10. I will post a review when it arrives.

Collapse -
just wait
by sears tv guy / August 5, 2005 11:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony it is

in the next 2 months sony will be dropping their LCOS tv's and they should be a good bit better than the LCD's

Collapse -
I waited
by rswanson / August 8, 2005 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: just wait

and waited, and waited, and waited...two years later, I was still waiting! Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with my choice. But if I had put the WF model off and waited again for the A10 line...well, you get the point.

You cant enjoy a TV unless it's sitting in your living room!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!