TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony KDF-60WF655 LCD TV

by crab51 / December 1, 2008 7:29 AM PST

I purchased this TV in 2005 and it has given me alot of pleasure. Recently though, I have been getting a blue hue in the lower right corner. At times, it will be larger than other times. My warranty recently ran out(of course!) and i was wondering if any of you have had this problem and what you did to fix this problem. thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony KDF-60WF655 LCD TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony KDF-60WF655 LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
sony kdf-60wf655
by mspat1965 / December 11, 2008 6:41 AM PST

hey i just contacted sony regarding my tv and they are replacing it with a newer model (sony- bravia KDL-52w4100) i only have to pay $1093 for this TV. I opted not to let them repair the old TV and bought the new one on a special offer thru their Exchange Department. The offer is good for people who own the KDF-60WF655 and who are having these problems with the optical block. They will either fix it (one time only) or give you the option to purchase a newer model. Call 866-850-8673 for more info. This extended warranty expires at the end of the month...so act fast in order to get your TV repaired free or get a new TV at Sony cost. I priced the KDL-52W4100 AT BEST BUY AND IT WAS ON SELL FOR $2500.

Collapse -
Sony KDF-60wf655
by xenatic / December 14, 2008 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: sony kdf-60wf655

did you have to pay a $215.00 shipping fee + tax ?

Collapse -
Shipping+tax
by mspat1965 / December 15, 2008 2:02 PM PST
In reply to: Sony KDF-60wf655

Yes I did have to pay the shipping and tax for my state. The TV I want is on back order, it will not be shipped until after Jan 1st. They had the other one (v4100) but I wanted the (w4100) it has the 120 hz. Most reviews say it is where the new technologty is headed.

Collapse -
repair or tv
by xenatic / December 18, 2008 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: Shipping+tax

I opted to get the repair done instead of the tv offer I shopped around and found the same tv for $1800 with tax and no shipping and I figure the price will probably still come down later on also found out that Sony made diffrent offers, I talked to someone who was offered $843.00 + tax no shipping for the KDL 52W4100. When I mentioned that to Sony the guy told me to either take my tv offer or get it repaired and that he can't do anything about the previous offer they made. This is probably my last Sony I'll ever buy.

Collapse -
Repair Option
by mspat1965 / December 18, 2008 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: repair or tv

It may have to do with each person's particular circumstance, such as when the TV was bought and if you bought an extended warranty. I did not have the extended warranty, that may have made a differrance in the offer. I bought my TV in 2005. I did read on another Forum that Sony was making differrent offers, but someone mention that it was due to how long you owned the set and if you had the warranty. When people first began to complain about these televisions it looks like Sony was only offerring the repair them. So good luck with your choice just remember alot of folks began to have the same or other problems immediately after the repair or up to a year out. I'd rather have a new TV.

Collapse -
repair option
by xenatic / December 18, 2008 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: Repair Option

On the offer it wasn't cuz of a particular circumstance or when you bought the tv. I asked both questions and he basically told me they just stopped making that offer after Nov. About possible problems after the repairs I just talked to the technician they assigned to me today and he said he hasen't had any call backs so far and the optical blocks that they get from Sony is actually an upgrade and not refurbished and even if it does go bad I'll just buy a new tv I shopped around at Costco they have other brands with the same size for almost the same prize as the offer

Collapse -
Sony KDF-60WF655 LCD TV
by stulesser / September 10, 2012 12:45 PM PDT

I had the same problem. Fortunately for me it was during the initial warranty period. The blue hue is caused by a faulty Light Engine. Not sure what it does, but the technician that replaced it said that it was a $1000 part.

Collapse -
Sony KDF-60WF655 LCD TV
by stulesser / September 10, 2012 12:51 PM PDT

I'm have a problem with my TV and was wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar problem. I'll be watching my TV and all of a sudden the screen goes black and the green power light starts to blink. A few seconds later the TV comes back on and the green power light goes to a solid green. This happens sporadically. No rhyme or reason. Any idea what may be causing this, and what is the fix? Can I do it myself or do I need a certified repair person?

Collapse -
Bulb, power supply, or light engine
by Pepe7 / September 11, 2012 12:32 AM PDT

I would focus on those three as possibilities for repair. It very well might be time to get a new HDTV since it's out of warranty. The cost of the bulb will likely be at least $200 just to be able to test that theory out on your own.

Also ask at AVS forum so you get a better technical inclined answer/solution-

http://www.avsforum.com/f/63/rear-projection-units

Collapse -
Rarely see a TV repair person in these forums.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 12:32 AM PDT

And all don't do diagnosis. You might try AVSFORUM since they seem to chat about repairs. Be aware you need to share your skill level. Such as if you own and use solder irons, DVM, o-scopes or just hammers.
Bob

Collapse -
About that bulb.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 12:50 AM PDT

That is an user serviceable item. Some folk report that letting the DLP cool down for a hour (unplug it!) then unplugging the bulb and plugging it back in did help along with cleaning the vents and moving it a few inches away from the wall.

And yes, an old bulb can create more heat than a new one. There are thousands of discussions about DLPs. I feel fortunate I didn't get one that took that bulb or DMD chip. The moment I read the life span on the bulb I walked away.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?