The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Sony Home, 1995 AOL teen chat with avatars?

by Balls_Maximus / December 14, 2008 1:58 PM PST

See the following:
http://gizmodo.com/5109634/female-avatars-are-not-safe-in-sony-home

Sure, maybe sony home will turn around and be a classy online interactive activity. However when I watch the antics coming down the ol' pipes, or rather, clogged tubes, part of me agrees with Ted Stevens... I mean, my e-mails are being put in a line behind a bunch of bored adolescents virtual dry ******* other bored adolescents.

Did those videos not remind you of zombies? You know the classic zombie that knows others around him are zombies, and that somehow has a keen sense that you aren't a zombie and therefore starts to eat you, but not really eat you, just turn you into another zombie? Once done you then start dry ******* a binary co-ed.

The only demo this looks to appeal to is 12 year olds bypassing their parents netnanny, and rebelling against society with mass dry hump migration.

Anyone got a good report? I've never been on 2nd life either, so I may never see the appeal in such a service, but enlighten us, or turn us into a zombie.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Home, 1995 AOL teen chat with avatars?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Home, 1995 AOL teen chat with avatars?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Glad
by skellener / December 15, 2008 12:58 AM PST

Makes me happy I don't own a PS3

Collapse -
To liuli2005050281, post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 15, 2008 1:45 AM PST

Sorry, no site or blog advertising in these forums.

That's why I deleted your post.

Mark

Collapse -
It's pretty lame
by DKhoji / December 23, 2008 4:25 AM PST

PS3 Home is unbelievably lame. I've had it on my PS3 for a few weeks now, since the beginning of pre-beta, and it hasn't really gotten any better. There is a town square, a movie theater, a bowling alley, a shopping mall and your own apartment, plus private "club houses" where you can go to be private with friends. You create an avatar, walk around, make the avatar wave and dance, chat with people via the controller, keyboard or a bluetooth headset. You can now also buy virtual clothes to set your avatar apart from the crowd -- I mean, like, wow.

You can also bowl at the bowling alley (haven't tried it), play chess and checkers, pool, and video consoles. The video consoles have virtualized versions of download games like Echochrome. When people are playing them their avatars stand still like zombies, same at the pool tables. You can't watch a game, you just see zombies standing around a pool table.

Chat and interaction levels are predictably low quality because there is really nothing to do. Most of the visitors seem to really be between 14 and 18 and male, no matter what their avatars are. There are naturally also a few whackjobs, as always.

The movie theater screens only show advertising, not in full screen, not in HD, you always see the movie theater around the screen.

The private areas are just as boring as the public areas.

That's pretty much it. It's about as much fun as going for a walk in the central square of a particularly boring mall. It really makes you wonder what Sony has been doing on the project for over two years. Ho hum...

Collapse -
whoa
by Balls_Maximus / December 29, 2008 1:32 PM PST
In reply to: It's pretty lame

Thanks for the update, that may have been the lamest development team ever. I think I'm going to go hang out with the ubuntu guys instead.

Collapse -
"Quincying" is the PS3 Rick-Roll?
by Slikkster / December 26, 2008 7:29 PM PST

The second video about Quincying was kind of funny. Hey wait; my cat is named Quincy and he's quite handsome!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?