TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony HDTV KD-34XBR960 VS. Sony HDTV Monitor KV-34HS420

by mcoleky / March 26, 2005 3:52 AM PST

I am trying to decide between the Sony tube 960 and the Sony tube 420. I currently use a cable box. I somehow can't get that excited about having a built in tuner. Or, picture in picture.

I don't really understand the other differences in the specs. Are the following significant, or just not that important?

1. The 960 has ATSC/QAM/NTSC. The 420 has only NTSC. What does this do?

2. The 960 has MTS Stereo with TruSurround Simulated Surround Sound. The 420 is simply Stereo. I'll be buying a home theater system. So, is the 960 Simulated Surround system irrelevant?

The 960 specs (from Circut City) say that Standard component imputs are "same as HD imputs". The 420 uses the phrase "Same as HD component inputs". Is the use of the term "component" for the 420 and not for the 960 meaningful?

I don't mind paying the difference ($2200 for the 960 vs. $1440 for the 420) if there are significant differences which will affect the quality of viewing.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony HDTV KD-34XBR960 VS. Sony HDTV Monitor KV-34HS420
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony HDTV KD-34XBR960 VS. Sony HDTV Monitor KV-34HS420
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re
by sears tv guy / March 26, 2005 9:28 AM PST

the main differences are going to be the built in tuner, cable card, fiber optic output for dolby digital surround sound and fire wire(IEEE 1394).
Yes its worth the difference between the tv's.

Collapse -
Bottom Line
by mcoleky / March 27, 2005 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: re

Thank you for your fast response.

So, bottom line the 960 should provide superior viewing as compared to the 420? As I mentioned, I can't get too excited about the built in tuner and cable card. However, I do want the best visual and sound I can get/afford.

Since I plan to purchase a home theater system rather than depend on the sound provided by the TV, is the fiber optic output for dolby digital surround sound still important?

BTW, what is the fire wire? I can't find that on the spec listing.

Again, thank you for your response. I read the articles/consumer comments on CNET and Consumer Reports. I also compare the specs. Yet, somehow, I still get confused.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.