Question

SONY HDR-SR12 File is protected and cannot delete or transfe

I have SONY HDR-SR12 camcorder.
I lended it to my friend for his project and he was trying to transfer video files to his Mac, and he was unsuccesful. He said he tried everything but didn't work. I have no idea what he did to my camcorder but ever since I got it back from him, whatever he recorded shows up on lcd as saved file but when I press to play, it will say file is protected and would not play, nor I can't delete or transfer to my computer. Lots of previously recorded video files were also affected. My hard drive memory is at its limit and can't delete most of the files.
Can someone help?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: SONY HDR-SR12 File is protected and cannot delete or transfe
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SONY HDR-SR12 File is protected and cannot delete or transfe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Supply a link to the product user manual.

I usually find how to unprotect it there.

- Collapse -
product user manual link
- Collapse -
If it doesn't I see this on an early page.

1. "If you have any questions about this product, you may call: Sony Customer Information Services Center 1-800-222-7669"

2. Page 6 notes "Media Format"

3. Page 7 notes an "Empty" feature.

It does note that if someone formatted the drive on Windows, odd things can happen.
Bob

CNET Forums