Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony HDR-FX1

by chillin3 / December 7, 2006 5:04 AM PST

I'm considering Buying a Sony HDR-FX1 and I was reading an article saying that HD cameras cause the editing process to go slow. Right now I edit on iMovie, but I'm learning Final Cut Pro. A lot of times when I make movies The computer starts to get slow by the end of my editing. And my movies are only 10-15 minutes max (usually around 6-8 min).I was wondering If this camera would make the editing on iMovie slower. I was also wondering If Final cut is faster when using HD quality film.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony HDR-FX1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony HDR-FX1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you try to produce high definition video as output,
by Kiddpeat / December 7, 2006 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: Sony HDR-FX1

things will be a LOT slower. In fact, you may need a new computer. In addition, iMovie may not be able to do hi-def. I think Final Cut can, but I'm not sure of the details.

I am pretty sure you can downsample to SD via controls on the camera. If iMovie can handle that, you would be able to continue working as before. The benefit would be that you are filming in hi-def that, in the future, can be captured and burned as hi-def.

Collapse -
What i want to know
by chillin3 / December 7, 2006 6:17 AM PST

FYI: imovie does do HD.

And I would like to know How much slower it is on
1. iMovie
2. Final Cut Pro

Collapse -
new mac
by chillin3 / December 7, 2006 6:32 AM PST
In reply to: What i want to know

I was also wondering whether it will change how fast it goes if you have Big new Mac and firewire 800 and dual processor.

Collapse -
Yes...
by whizkid454 / December 7, 2006 9:39 AM PST
In reply to: new mac

very simply put:
A newer computer is (usually) a faster computer. So if you upgrade, you're bound to be able to do HD on any editing software FASTER. Basically... the program itself doesn't make or break how a computer handles video. If you have a good computer, it will go fast. If you have a slow computer, it will go slow.

Collapse -
Verrry, verrry slow.
by Kiddpeat / December 7, 2006 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: Yes...

I am surprised that iMovie can do HDV. It was a pretty limited program when I used it a few years ago.

Collapse -
I use iMovie HD and FinalCut...
by boya84 / December 9, 2006 1:39 PM PST
In reply to: Sony HDR-FX1

Since we don't know what Mac you are using, it is difficult to understand what might be causing the slowdown while you are editing. I have been using iMovie with standard def and iMovie HD with high since they were available. I have used FinalCut for the past year. I have never noticed a "slowdown" during editing. I used to use a Canon Elura 60 and now use a Sony HDR-HC1. I also don't know what your threshold of pain is for "slow down". Please keep in mind that High Definition video is 4x more data to process - but it does NOT take 4x more time to render/process...

I used to use a G4 tower; I currently use a iMac flatpanel G5 and I have also used my son's iMac flatpanel CoreDuo. In my experience:

Importing HD video to either FinalCut or iMovie, it does not come across in realtime. Never tied it on the G4. On the G5, it is normally around 1/2 speed; on the CoreDuo, it is normally 3/4-full speed. When actually reviewing imported HD video, it plays at realtime. When doing transitions or adding credits (or other text) or somehow rendering on the computer, it depends what it is you are doing - the longer the "activity", the longer the render will take. But it does not seem any longer than when the G4 was doing the same on standard definition video.

Outputting or rendering to iDVD or DVD Studio seems to take less time on the two new machines than standard def took to render out standard def video on the G4... in any case, if it is a full single layer or double layer DVD, I click burn before I go to sleep at night and in the morning, the disc is done.

FinalCut *can* take less time during the import because it imports differently than iMovie does. You will use more hard drive space with FinalCut because you never really remove anything during editing/cutting from the imported file like you do with iMovie when you empty the iMovie trash...They call it "non-destructive editing"...

So... to answer your questions: HiDef video will "slow" the process because it will not import in realtime. We don't know how much you import - then cut - to result in your 6-8 minute film. FinalCut and iMovieHD will edit in realtime - though transitions, effects and titles will take a tad longer to render (than when you were in standard def) and DVD rendering will take a bit longer (than in standard def) because the HiDef video is being downsampled to standard def (so the is a LOT of crunching). But for 6-8 minutes final output, it should not take much more than 20 minutes to render on a G5 (less on a CoreDuo - I would not try it on a G4) - I do that pretty regularly for bands I've shot and edit their 3.5 minute to 5 minute songs rendered out to QuickTime clips for myspace or youtube upload.

If you are fortunate to have a CoreDuo MacPro tower, I would venture that the hidef import process would be realtime and the titles/credits/transitions will be *really* speedy... and the DVD render would be nearly instantaneous... hence no rendering time increase anywhere. Disc burn time is probably the same time over all the machines so not worth any discussion.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks
by chillin3 / December 11, 2006 7:16 AM PST

Thank you so much. I think my dad is planning on buying the core dou because he HAS TO HAVE THE NEW THING. So I'm happy with that. I was kinda geting nervous that HD video would take forever to edit, but your post helped me alot.

-THANKS

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?