Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony HDD DCR-SR100 with Sony Vegas Movie Studio 4.0a + DVD

by Packtramp / March 5, 2007 11:43 AM PST

This is frustrating me. I am using Vegas Movie Studio + DVD 4.0a (Build 48) software with my DCR-SR100 HDD DV camcorder. When I use the .MPG file the sound is dropped or something.

What I am doing:
I download the .MPG file over to my desktop from my SR100,
Drag the file to the "Media Pool" in Vegas,
Insert media in the "video" line of the editing area,
Hit play and the movie plays but no sound...

Problem:
No sound...does vegas not like .MPG files or what? Am I making some newb mistake??

Any help would be great on this problem. I want to use vegas to put the small clips/home videos into a more common format and reduce the video quality so that I can use it on YouTube or other websites. Or send them to family for their enjoyment.

Thanks in advance!!

Also was wondering why windows movie maker won't read .MPG. Any thoughts on that? Do I need some other codecs? If so, where do I get those?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony HDD DCR-SR100 with Sony Vegas Movie Studio 4.0a + DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony HDD DCR-SR100 with Sony Vegas Movie Studio 4.0a + DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vegas understands mpg files just fine. If you can see the
by Kiddpeat / March 5, 2007 12:41 PM PST

video, that's pretty good proof it's read the file OK.

The audio is apparently not being put into the mpg file. Look further upstream for the problem. For example, can you hear the audio when Windows Media Player plays the mpg file? If not, the audio is simply not there.

Collapse -
SR100 and Windows Media Player that needs codecs
by Packtramp / March 5, 2007 10:30 PM PST

When I first pulled my .MPG videos over to my computer Windows Media Player would not play them. I found online an MPEG2 Codec that I ran and it now allows me to play those clips with sound. Also, Roxio plays the same clip I am trying to use with sound, I made a test DVD with it and it worked great. But Roxio is not as powerful in that I can't get it to just convert the video to a smaller resolution and not put menus and such on there. I want it in some standard .avi or .wmv format when I am done that I can use to post for family. Thanks for the suggestion, if you have another place to look that could be the problem please let me know.

Collapse -
Try telling Vegas to import the media file rather than
by Kiddpeat / March 6, 2007 10:41 AM PST

dragging it into the media pool.

Collapse -
Importing the clip
by Packtramp / March 6, 2007 10:57 PM PST

I tried that and it still didn't play the sound file. It acted the same as if I dragged it there.

Collapse -
Part of the problem could be your version of the software.
by Kiddpeat / March 7, 2007 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: Importing the clip

Since Vegas is now at version 7, version 4 is not likely to be the best answer for current cameras. I would upgrade the product.

Collapse -
Upgrade to Vegas 7
by Packtramp / March 7, 2007 7:12 AM PST

Yes, I was hoping to save the money and not have to upgrade, but if that is the only other solution I will.

Have you or anyone else used the SR100 with Vegas 7?

Thanks!

Collapse -
I use the SR100 with Vegas 6...
by whizkid454 / March 7, 2007 7:53 AM PST
In reply to: Upgrade to Vegas 7

and it works fine for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.