HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony HDD Camcorder DCR-SR72E Mac Computer

by cuba1862 / September 23, 2007 4:31 AM PDT

I just bought the above camcorder. Can anyone tell me if I can connect it to my Apple Macintosh computer? I have tried to connect it (without using any software as the only software provided was for Windows) and it does "read" the camcorder but will not play back any recordings. I cannot transfer anything onto the computer hard drive.

Thanks for any help with this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony HDD Camcorder DCR-SR72E Mac Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony HDD Camcorder DCR-SR72E Mac Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
apple.com discussions cover Sony hard drive based
by boya84 / September 23, 2007 5:24 AM PDT
Collapse -
After seeing several of these, I have to comment.
by Kiddpeat / September 23, 2007 7:50 AM PDT

Obviously, the Mac does not 'just work'. As I've seen in other contexts and environments, it's got the same sort of "gotcha's" that Windows machines are sometimes accused of having.

Collapse -
Next time try a firewire minidv camcorder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 8:09 AM PDT

Those "just work." And I see the camcorder is not made by or for Apple so I take it that you expected it to work in spite of that?

Bob

Collapse -
I'm not reading of any type of camcorder whether miniDV,
by Kiddpeat / September 23, 2007 11:02 AM PDT

DVD, or hard drive that has trouble working with a Windows machine. Unlike the Macs I've used, Windows machines do indeed 'just work'. It goes far beyond an advertising slogan. BTW, the camcorders that work on Windows are not made by or for Microsoft. If you need a camcorder that's made by or for Apple to be sure that it will work with an Apple computer, then future technology will be running away from Apple.

Collapse -
Your statement seems kind of contradictory...
by whizkid454 / September 23, 2007 12:02 PM PDT

Just to start off, I use Windows and like it much so I'm not an Apple guru, and I'm not trying to start an argument over what works and doesn't work.

However, I do agree with Bob's point about miniDV being a sure bet with a Mac. No special drivers or conversion is needed. All is needed is the import process and a Firewire port. Because the necessary drivers for Firewire are installed correctly on the Mac, it will "just work". I've seen countless problems of this with Windows machines not being able to import even with Firewire, most due to user error or a faulty piece of equipment. Sure it can happen with a Mac, but more often than not, it will "just work".

Hope you see my point and don't take this comment the wrong way.

Collapse -
I understand that miniDV works easily on any machine with a
by Kiddpeat / September 23, 2007 4:52 PM PDT

firewire port. My point is based on a series of comments from people with other types of cameras which do not work well with a Mac. It got common enough that I was moved to comment on it.

It could have been left there, but Bob seemed to feel the need to make a rather snide, IMO, comment. I simply responded to that. I made my point. I'm done unless someone really feels the need to drag it out, and, even then, I may not comment further.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2007 9:00 PM PDT

I'm sorry if that came across that way. It seems hard to even a part time Mac user to avoid that it seems.

So I've written I'm sorry about that. Can you tell me what you expect from the makers today? I know they are doing a poor job and delivering not ready products.

Bob

Collapse -
Sure. I think one of the biggest things I would like is more
by Kiddpeat / September 24, 2007 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

honesty. Don't claim that your machine is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and everybody else's just doesn't measure up. That may be modern marketing, but it's insulting. Some hardware & software companies used to have more integrity which, in many cases, is slipping.

Build your machines using the best available ideas. There is simply no excuse for the no button mouse that nearly every Mac I see has. Those should have been scrapped 20 years ago, but I still see them on new Macs.

Don't try to build/supply everything for your machine. There are lots of very talented people out there who know more about their corner of the technology world than you do. Did Apple real need to try to compete with Adobe for the photo market? If you are going to get into something, at least include industry standard support in your product.

Don't try to control what users can do with your products. If they want to run your OS on someone else's machine, why insist that they cannot? If they want to record/create on your machine, stop getting in the way with things like DRM.

That's some of what I would like to see.

Collapse -
Which makes me think.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2007 6:23 AM PDT

I make my choices and you should too. We haven't found a way to put a bat to everyone's head to drink the koolaid.

At least here it works for me.

Bob

Collapse -
Mac and video
by Dan Filice / September 23, 2007 12:45 PM PDT

The Mac is designed to "just work" if you are downloading DV video. The camcorder the poster records in a pre-MPEG format, so it will now download via Firewire (DV path). If the poster plugs the camcorder into the Mac via USB, the camera's icon will show up on the desktop, then he can double-click the icon and the MPEG video file will be there. As the other poster suggested, MPEG Streamclip is needed to convert this into a DV file that iMovie will import. Pretty easy.

Collapse -
Seems like two extra steps that shouldn't be necessary.
by Kiddpeat / September 23, 2007 4:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Mac and video

Mpeg-2 is the industry standard format. Why not just simply read the mpeg file as most Windows software does?

Collapse -
MPEG and Mac
by Dan Filice / September 24, 2007 4:50 AM PDT

I believe that with iLife 8, the latest version of iMovie will now ingest MPEG directly. I guess in the past, the way the Mac editing software worked (using DV), the MPEG was already compressed, so to allow for editing the file needed to be uncompressed which affected quality. I guess the preference was to keep the video quality as best as possible. Also, MPEG seems to come in a variety of flavors (wrappers), so DV probably was the most basic of video formats. DV, for years, was the basic industry standard (before the hard drive and DVD camcorders became prevalent), so in the past couldn't you ask of a PC "Why not simply read the DV file as all Macs do?" I know the PC could be configured to read DV, but 99% didn't come that way.

Collapse -
Let me just say this.
by Kiddpeat / September 24, 2007 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: MPEG and Mac

Except for using iMovie for a course at the local college, I've always used Sony Vegas for my video editing. It has always supported DV and Mpeg and a variety of other formats. Thus, my PC has always supported DV.

As for 99% of all PCs, 99% never process video and video is never given a second a thought by the user. Although Windows has a video capability, it is not a selling feature for the OS and is largely unknown in the PC world. Apple, on the other hand, does market its machines based on having things like iMovie, and it claims to be a more advanced, and more complete OS. Therefore, I expect it to support industry standards just as real video editors on Windows machines do. MPEG-2 is unquestionably an industry standard, so the failure to support it is perplexing.

Of course, iMovie is a pretty limited application, so it's not too surprising that there is one more thing it cannot do.

Collapse -
Let's compare apples to apples
by Dan Filice / September 24, 2007 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me just say this.

I agree that the Mac should be able to download an MPEG "directly" into iMovie. It can, if you use MPEG Streamclip as a first-step. Of course, iMovie 8 now imports MPEG-2s direct. Yes, iMovie is a "limited" application, but please don't compare it to Vegas. You should be comparing Vegas to Final Cut to be fair. In this day of the home computer user needing and wanting to process video, why is it that (to quote you) "...99% (of PCs) never process video and video is never given a second thought by the user." Sheesh, look at the majority of the questions in this Camcorder Forum. Most involve getting video into a PC. So, why doen't a PC come equipped out of the box ready to handle and process video? Isn't "Multi-Media" what most people are doing these days? For the majority of home users, a program like iMovie is plenty powerful and Final Cut or Vegas would be way over their heads. Considering iMovie comes in the iLife package of three programs for $69, iMovie basically costs less than $25. For that price, it does a great job, and when used within the iLife programs, you never need to step out of iMovie to import audio, pictures, add transitions, add titles or burn a DVD. How much time have you spent using iMovie? No, it't not Final Cut or Vegas or Premier, but it's very intuitive and easy to use.

Collapse -
Apples to Apples.
by Kiddpeat / September 24, 2007 9:30 AM PDT

You have not heard of the Studio version of Vegas? It is at the same level as iMovie in terms of 'cost', but far beyond it in terms of ability. Studio is the 'lite' version.

Going through a third party application to produce an intermediary file is not 'direct' by any stretch of the imagination. You did say 'apples to apples' did you not?

The majority of questions on this forum do not come from the majority of Windows users. The people that even know this forum exists are a miniscule part of the miniscule number of people working with video. The vast majority of computer users, whether Windows or Macs, are not concerned with editing or otherwise processing video although I will grant that a higher proportion of Mac users may be interested.

All Windows machines do come equipped out of the box to handle video. They can play it, which is all that the vast majority of users desire, to your heart's content. They can even do rudimentary editing via Movie Maker which is frequently referenced in these forums. It makes no sense to put a full fledged video editor into every copy of Windows. Unlike Macs, Windows machines are widespread in businesses, libraries, and other institutions which have zero interest in video editing. That is what multi-media machines are about. Viewing multi-media material. They are not about editing that material. When the time comes to do serious editing work, world class editors are readily available.

Sorry, but I don't think that iMovie is worth what it costs. Computer programs have two costs. First, the cost of purchasing the software. Second, and the vastly larger cost, is the time and materials needed to learn how to use the program. I have been taught to use iMovie, and was required to use it in some video editing projects. It is limited, and a royal PIA. The Studio version of Vegas is a low cost alternative that has for more ability than iMovie. However, if you decide to go with an Apple computer, iMovie may be the only game in town at the consumer level. You just need to find out how to get around the "gotcha's" like MPEG-2 files.

Collapse -
The codec is needed, but, once present, all versions of
by Kiddpeat / September 24, 2007 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Some facts...

Windows can handle MPEG files without additional software or intermediate files. Apple still needs to generate an intermediate file. That is the 'gotcha' that I referred to. I have yet to buy or even look for a codec. It gets installed by other apps that are commonly used on a Windows machine.

Collapse -
iLife '08 and DCR-SR72E
by Skarlock / May 12, 2008 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: MPEG and Mac

Yes, I have just successfully imported video from the SR72E into iLife '08. So that is the solution to Mac owner's problems. Just get the lasted edition of iLife and you should be fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.