Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony HC40, Panasonic PV-GS120 or Optura 30

Like others, I'm looking at buying a digital camcorder. Here is my dilema: Reviews state the HC40 isn't that much of an improvement over the HC30 unless you're interested in STILL PICS. I AM NOT! I'm more interested in great video with ease of use and operation. The optura 40 looks very nice, but because of the cost, and the fact I hear the video isn't THAT much better, the Optura 30 will hold well. Lastly is the Panasonic PV-GS120. I have read GREAT things on this camera, and the Leica lens is a nice bonus.

I WAS leaning a lot toward the HC40, but to be honest, the Panasonic might be worth more of a look, even with some concerns about brand-reliability. Cannon and Sony are (perhaps I'm wrong) stronger names than Panasonic.

I am in grad school and find myself doing some travelling this year (Germany, Japan, etc...) I really want a camera that will take great VIDEO (don't care about stills so much as I have a DC), and be small enough I don't have to worry about lugging it around. If I'm overlooking a great camera, please let me know as well! I want to spend around
$600 +/- $50.

Any ideas anyone???

Thank you!!!

Joel
elmsley4@adelphia.net

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony HC40, Panasonic PV-GS120 or Optura 30
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony HC40, Panasonic PV-GS120 or Optura 30
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sony HC40, Panasonic PV-GS120 or Optura 30

In reply to: Sony HC40, Panasonic PV-GS120 or Optura 30

Go for the PV-GS120. I've been deciding between the Optura and the PV-GS120, and the pictures I've seen taken with the PV look much better than the Optura. 3CCD chip on PV makes colors much more vibrant.

Collapse -
Re: Sony HC40, Panasonic PV-GS120 or Optura 30

In reply to: Sony HC40, Panasonic PV-GS120 or Optura 30

The last post suggested the Panasonic, but have a look at PC Magazine's latest roundup of camcorders:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1682886,00.asp

For the Panasonic GS120 they state, "It produces well-exposed digital video with accurate colors. Unfortunately, the sharpness of the video leaves much to be desired."

Also, it seems that you're going to be doing alot of moving around with your camcorder, and Sony's image stabalization is definately better. I've tried both models in the store, and Panasonic's image was jerky at first, but "settles down" after a few seconds, while Sony's was always stable. Also, the Panasonic image became "jerky" again as soon as I had it focus on something else. Note that this was when both cameras were zoomed in to the max; completely un-zoomed they seemed the same.

I've been going back and forth between the HC-40 and the GS120 myself, and I think I'm going with the HC-40 (or maybe HC30). Here are my reasons for going with the HC-40:

1. Size - I'm going to primarily video my two small children, so the easier it is for me to transport my camcorder, the better. Kids keep you busy and you don't have time to fiddle with where to put your camcorder.

2. Image stabalization - I'll be on-the-move allot taping my little kids, and a "jerky" video would be really annoying to watch!

3. Color - I've read that overall the Panasonic is better, but the image is not crisp and sharp. I've heard mixed things about Sony's, but in my mind, when I watch the video I'm going to notice a slightly blurry, jerky picture more than someone's sweater not looking exactly the shade of pink that it was. Also, PC Mag's review said the Sony's color was fine.

4. Touch screen - I currently have an analog camcorder (Panasonic) with all kinds of buttons. I've alredy messed up shooting something because I had to look away to find a button somewhere, and I would think that having the "buttons" right on the screen would avoid this problem. Also, I've read in a review that you can customize the buttons on the display (placing you most-used ones first), but I've yet to read that anywhere else.

5. LCD display - read that the Panasonic one is really bad if not looking directly at it, while the Sony is great outdoors. This was actually one of the big reasons for going with the Sony, since I really have extreme difficulty looking through an eyepeice instead of the LCD. Others might not have this problem.

I'm not saying that the Panasonic is junk - far from it! I've just evaluated the two for what I'll need them for, and decided on the Sony. No camcorder is perfect (especially in this price range), so you have to weigh the imperfections along with the strengths in light of what you deem most important and what you can live with.

For me, I'm not a perfectionist for color; I figure I can do slight color-correction with my video editing software (if I will even need to), but I can't image stabilize after the fact.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.