Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony Handycam VX2000 and widescreen

by TheDejos / March 22, 2010 1:04 AM PDT

Hi,

Anyone out there that can give me a few ideas for a situation I'm dealing with with my camera? The scenario is this, I'm using the Sony Handycam vx2000 for a church setting, recording sermons and announcements etc for both archival purposes and for distribution on our website. I've gone with a 16:9 aspect ration because I think trends lean towards that and I've found that the novices on my team seem to be able to frame their shots better working at that aspect ratio and the footage always seems more engaging.

The problem is that the camera was loaned to my group by a person who also would like to take the video footage to a local public access tv station for broadcast. Apparently the tv station requires VHS (yick.) My team doesn't have a lot of free time so it's a stretch to do what we're doing as it is. We'd like to accommodate this person though since we're working with his equipment.

He doesn't care if it's edited and cleaned so what we'd first tried was to use the RCA outputs on the camera to go straight to a vcr and record it to a VHS tape. However it seems that the RCA outputs a 4:3 image and it squishes our widescreen into an unusable image. I haven't been able to find any settings in the camera to resolve this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any other methodology that might permit me to get my widescreen footage onto the VHS?

Discussion is locked

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!