General discussion

Sony handycam picture quality

Have Sony handycam (don't recall exact model but about 4 years old) that records on minitapes. Only use it to tape my kids, mostly indoors. When playing back the results, the images seem very grainy and almost black/grey and white, all colors are washed out. I am not sure why but video taken with my cannon photo camera seems much more colorful and better quality. Am I doing something wrong? Also find the process of transferring tape to computer time consuming and inconvenient. Was thinking or getting a flip or some basic HD type video camera to replace Sony - any recs? or is there a way to take better video with my Sony? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sony handycam picture quality
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sony handycam picture quality
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
no, thats just

no, thats just how low quality camcorders are. the flip ultra hd is very popular. or if you want a real camcorder i recommend the sony cx110/150

- Collapse -
thank you!

the sonys you recommended look great if a touch over what I'd like to pay. Is the main diff between 110 and 150 internal storage - how important is it? Also, how would a flip compare to these - its price is of course more appealing to me but I imagine picture quality is not the same... For home movies though - would upgrading to a Sony 110/150 vs Flip make a huge difference in pics? Thanks again!

- Collapse -
also...

would it be an issue if we don't have a hdtv or bluray to play back video from HD camcorder? Thanks in advance!

CNET Forums

Forum Info