Video Cameras forum

General discussion

sony handycam dcr-hc48e + firewire = nothing.

hi. i have a dcr-hc48e handycam with a dcra-c155 docking station... . I tried to copy movies through FIREWIRE, but my computer doesn't recognize it. i found out in other problems with other handycams that there are switches like UBS on/off that can be toggled, which they say may prevent the firewire function if the usb switch is "on", but in my docking station, there is no switch like that. so i just need to insert the firewire cable with the powersupply connected to the handycam. there is no "dv in" that appears in my camera's LCD. my operating system is Windows xp service pack2. i would like to know how to transfer videos to my pc using firewire, because when i use the usb feature, it's recognized by the pc but the videos lose their quality. thanks a lot!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sony handycam dcr-hc48e + firewire = nothing.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sony handycam dcr-hc48e + firewire = nothing.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you are expecting something to "pop-up" when you

In reply to: sony handycam dcr-hc48e + firewire = nothing.

connect the firewire cable, you might consider changing the expectation. Nothing "pops up" on the desktop. There is no alert displayed that there is something new attached. There is no "confusion" between USB and firewire - they are different protocols using different interupts and are used for different reasons carrying different types of data formats.

You should NEVER plug USB and firewire into the camcorder and the computer at the same time... only one of the cables should be connected.

Of course, this assumes the firewire port on the camcorder and computer are operating properly... and the firewire cable is good. Is the firewire port in the Hardware profile and appear operational? You should not have to change anything on the camcorder - when properly configured... If you have made i.LINK changes to that Sony camcorder, either set them back or reset the camcorder to factory defaults.

With the firewire cable attached to the camcorder's DV port and the computer's firewire port - and the camcorder in "Play" or "VCR" mode, launch MovieMaker and "capture" the video... or whatever editor you are using and import the video. WinDV is a free download and has works where the editors have not - and of course, we hope you are not using a Dynex or other equally not so god firewire card...

I hope this helps...

Collapse -
still, no result..

In reply to: If you are expecting something to "pop-up" when you

first of all, thanks for replying to my post. have i said i plugged the usb and firewrie at the same time? hmm, don't worry i haven't done that.

"connect the firewire cable, you might consider changing the expectation. Nothing "pops up" on the desktop"

okay, this point is taken. then i don't need to wait for popups that the camera is already ready. thanks

"Is the firewire port in the Hardware profile and appear operational?"
i think so. it says in the device manager that it is working, unluckily i think i cannot post a screenshot in this forum. the firewire card was already detected and was said to be functioning.

"You should not have to change anything on the camcorder - when properly configured... If you have made i.LINK changes to that Sony camcorder, either set them back or reset the camcorder to factory defaults."
i haven't changed any of the settings related to the connectivity of the camera. It only contains data for usb use, and nothing for the firewire so i think there will be no problems regarding to that.

"With the firewire cable attached to the camcorder's DV port and the computer's firewire port - and the camcorder in "Play" or "VCR" mode, launch MovieMaker and "capture" the video... or whatever editor you are using and import the video."
yes. i always set the camcorder in Play or vcr mode. i used moviemaker using the usb, it works but the video capture is very laggy, and quality is not good. When i use moviemaker when firewire is being used (usb not in use), it cannot detect my sony handycam. I remembered that when i use the usb mode, the selection in what device to capture is named 'SONY IMAGING VIDEO 2' or something like that. i still try to connect it every now and then, checking if there are any problems.

I also tried another handycam, dcr-hc30 on my pc. it's almost the same with my dcr-hc48e, here's the comparison with the same thing done to both:

dcr-hc48e dcr-hc30

connecting using usb: can be detected can be detected

display in camera lcd
when connected in firewire: no DV IN displays DV IN

disp. in computer's
capture program( moviemaker,
videostudio,windv)
when connected with firewire: not detected not detected
or no capture device or no capture device

hope someone can still help me.thanks.

Collapse -
still no result(updated)

In reply to: still, no result..

first of all, thanks for replying to my post. have i said i plugged the usb and firewrie at the same time? hmm, don't worry i haven't done that.

"connect the firewire cable, you might consider changing the expectation. Nothing "pops up" on the desktop"

okay, this point is taken. then i don't need to wait for popups that the camera is already ready. thanks

"Is the firewire port in the Hardware profile and appear operational?"
i think so. it says in the device manager that it is working, unluckily i think i cannot post a screenshot in this forum. the firewire card was already detected and was said to be functioning.

"You should not have to change anything on the camcorder - when properly configured... If you have made i.LINK changes to that Sony camcorder, either set them back or reset the camcorder to factory defaults."
i haven't changed any of the settings related to the connectivity of the camera. It only contains data for usb use, and nothing for the firewire so i think there will be no problems regarding to that.

"With the firewire cable attached to the camcorder's DV port and the computer's firewire port - and the camcorder in "Play" or "VCR" mode, launch MovieMaker and "capture" the video... or whatever editor you are using and import the video."
yes. i always set the camcorder in Play or vcr mode. i used moviemaker using the usb, it works but the video capture is very laggy, and quality is not good. When i use moviemaker when firewire is being used (usb not in use), it cannot detect my sony handycam. I remembered that when i use the usb mode, the selection in what device to capture is named 'SONY IMAGING VIDEO 2' or something like that. i still try to connect it every now and then, checking if there are any problems.

I also tried another handycam, dcr-hc30 on my pc. it's almost the same with my dcr-hc48e, here's the comparison with the same thing done to both:

connecting using usb: both cameras are detected and can capture laggy videos

display in camera lcd when connected in firewire: in hc-30, there's a DV IN displayed on the lcd. in the hc-48e, nothing.

disp. in computer's capture program(moviemaker,videostudio,windv)when connected with firewire: both cameras seem to be not connected. both no displays in the computer.

hope someone can still help me.thanks.

Collapse -
Thank you for the detailed

In reply to: still no result(updated)

feedback. The only other think I can think of at this point is that MovieMaker is not configured to use (or recognize) the firewire port. That would be a MovieMaker preferences change.

Another possibility is for you to use WinDV. I think it is still a free download. Import the video with that - then drag the video file into your editor.

If this does not work, I regret that I can't help much - I use Macintoshes for my video editing projects. I need to specify the type of video being imported (DV, DV Widescreen, HDV, etc...) or my camcorders will not be recognized, either.

Amazingly, even if the video quality is not good, you are one of the few people I know who has gotten video over USB.

Perhaps someone else has thoughts about your video environment...

Collapse -
oops... missed that -

In reply to: Thank you for the detailed

saw you already tried WinDV...

Collapse -

In reply to: oops... missed that -

yeah, i already used windv and it still do not recognize my camera- in usb even in firewire.

i really want to get the most of my handycam and with the firewire function (i know this is a LOT better than usb in transferring movies). This is all the information i can give you. i really don;t know how the capture programs can detect the handycam. give me updates if you have other thoughts about my problem. Anyway, thanks for the big help!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.