Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony Handycam DCR-DVD610--Grainy Images on Recorded DVD

I would appreciate any help or advice about the problem I'm having with my brand new Sony Handycam Model DCR-DVD610. It's my first camcorder, and I went with the DVD type, so I could easily transport the DVD instead of having to take the entire camera for playback.

I was SO disappointed after recording 30 minutes of video of my daughter, only to play it back in my DVD player to find horribly grainy images that look like it was filmed in 1983 with an old 8mm camera. I was shocked at how poor the quality was--an old videotape I have from 1998 taped on an old camcorder looked better!

I tried both Sony DVD-R and Sony DVD+RW recordable media, and even tried different discs to make sure it wasn't a bad disc. I have set and reset the recording settings, got no help from Sony online with the problem and am basically at the end of my rope as what to do.

I am so saddened that my very first camcorder purchase--that I researched online for weeks--is so bad. I feel like I'm missing important recorable moments with my daughter because I don't want to even bother recording with such bad results.

Any advice on why the image quality is so grainy and poor? THANK YOU!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Handycam DCR-DVD610--Grainy Images on Recorded DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Handycam DCR-DVD610--Grainy Images on Recorded DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Grainy results usually stem from inadequate light.

In reply to: Sony Handycam DCR-DVD610--Grainy Images on Recorded DVD

The camera is amplifying the light that it does get in an attempt to obtain a viewable image. The high level of amplification adds electronic noise to the image. Try recording your daughter in well illuminated outdoor settings to see if your results improve.

Cameras that are able to operate in low light situations are more expensive because of what is needed to obtain decent results.

Collapse -
Another main reason...

In reply to: Sony Handycam DCR-DVD610--Grainy Images on Recorded DVD

It is a DVD camcorder. This is the worst format available right now in terms of video quality. The other thing you can do is what Kiddpeat said.

If there is any possibility, TAKE IT BACK ASAP and exchange it for something much better.

Collapse -
Thanks so much!

In reply to: Another main reason...

I've been thinking for a while that it could be poor lighting that could be a factor. Thanks for the tip!

I SO wish I could return the item, but I bought it from Dell.com and the return policy has exceeded the time limit.

Collapse -
And... though you said

In reply to: Another main reason...

you tried all the different settings, you pretty much need to ignore all but the highest quality video setting. Any lower quality video setting compresses the video way too much and reduces the video quality.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.