Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony HandyCam - DCR-DVD108 - Editing on Computer

by bfiene / June 11, 2007 11:52 AM PDT

I bought this camera for my 13yr old son - He is used to using his friend's Sony camcorder that has a hard drive and has a fire wire to download the filmed content to the PC and edit. Will this camera allow him to film, then transfer to a PC, then edit the content on the PC using Windows Moviemaker just like his friend's camcorder?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony HandyCam - DCR-DVD108 - Editing on Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony HandyCam - DCR-DVD108 - Editing on Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by Kiddpeat / June 11, 2007 2:11 PM PDT

His friend is using miniDV.

Collapse -
I agree with "No",
by boya84 / June 11, 2007 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: No.

but it could be a hard drive camcorder using USB... some folks think (incorrectly) that USB is FireWire...

Clarification: USB is not FireWire. They are different protocols using different cables and connect using different ports on the comuter and on the camcorder.

Typically:
miniDV tape based camcorders transfer video from tape to computer with FireWire;
Hard drive based camcorders transfer video from the camcorder's hard drive to computer using USB;
DVD-based camcorders use the disc from the camcorder in the computer's drawer-loading DVD drive.

To "transfer" the video from the DVD camcorder, we need more information on the environment.

What kind of computer is it? NEVER place an 8cm DVD from a camcorder in a slot loading optical drive mechanism. You will break it and the disc.

What kink of computer is it? What operating system is it running?

Does the computer have an optical drive that will read DVDs? Is it a slot-loader or a drawer loading optical drive?

What kind of disc (-R, RW, RAM, whatever) was used to capture the video in the DVD-based camcorder?

Do you (or you kid) know what a "DVD ripper" is? Is one already installed on the computer?

DON'T DO ANYTHING YET... please just provide us with this basic information so we can understand the environment and move to the next set of steps... We do not know what you know, nor can we see what you can see, so we just need to understand what we have to work with before moving forward.

Collapse -
I agree with "No",
by bfiene / June 12, 2007 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree with "No",

I have a New Toshiba Satellite P105-S6114 - windows XP - DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer)drive - Reads or writes up to 11 formats

Collapse -
cool... something to work with...
by boya84 / June 12, 2007 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree with "No",

From what I can see, you should be good to go with editing. Be warned that DVD-based camcorders do not allow for very good quality editing.

For DVD-based camcorders, *typically*...

When the video is captured to the miniDVD, you might need to "finalize it before any other DVD player will be able to use that disc. Please refer to your manual.

You will also need to install a DVD ripper. Google that term. You should get a lot of hits... Pick one. I use HandBrake. I heard there is a Windows version out there.

When the disc is ready, remove the disc from the camera and load it on the drawer loading optical drive you have. Close the drawer.

Launch the DVD ripper. (If your DVD player automatically launches, quit out of it. You cannot do anything with the files on the DVD disc from the camera - you need to rip the video and audio... just like ripping sings from a CD.)

Select the "scenes" or file clips you want to rip. Save them all to a folder somewhere on your computer's hard drive. When all the files/scenes you want are ripped from the DVD and in the folder you made, quit the DVD ripper. Remove the disc and store in a cool, dry place in its case. If the disc and the case are not already marked (contents), do that.

A word of warning: There are a LOT of posts from people who (1) could not get their PC to recognize the disc, (2) had problems with video quality and (3) needed to get "ISObuster" to get to their video from these DVDs.

Launch your video editing application. Import or open the video files you just ripped using that application... Edit. Save.

When editing is complete, do whatever you need to do to burn a DVD or save the file in a format you want. You can save it as an AVI to a data-DVD is you want.

In the case of a hard drive based camcorder, it is connected using a USB cable to the computer - and the camera's hard drive mounts like any other USB mass-storage device. The video clips are copied to the computer's hard drive as you would copy any other file. Save. Edit. etc...

In the case of a miniDV tape, based camcorder, it is connected using a FireWire cable to the computer - and the camera is controlled by the computer's video editing application. The video is imported from the tape to the computer right into the editing application. Save. Edit. etc...

Collapse -
Yes, you can, but not with firewire
by delusional29 / May 2, 2010 2:06 PM PDT

Assuming your DVD drive on your computer is a tray loading type (with smaller groove cut into tray), you can easily import it digitally.

Simply load up your favorite video editing program and there should be an option to import the DVD into the project. I have Vegas Pro(by Sony) and it works great. The DVD digitally imports as an MPEG automatically without any quality loss!

If you don't have Vegas Pro, you can always get a "home version" of Sony's Vegas which will also do the trick for about $39.99 retail. http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiohd

Hope this helped!

Collapse -
Movie Studio HD specs
by delusional29 / May 2, 2010 2:09 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!