Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony Handycam CCD-V30 Vertical Roll Problem

by ptaluc / April 10, 2007 8:05 AM PDT

This is an old unit that still works fine, with one exception. When I playback a tape the image is perfect in the LCD viewfinder but if I plug in the video out connector and connect the unit to a TV or VCR the picture begins to roll in the Handycam. Take the cable out and everything is fine again. Have tested with different cables and output devices. Always the same result. Since I want to transfer these Video 8 tapes to DVD I need to get this problem fixed but can't find a solution. I know where the vertical adjustment pots are in the Handycam and these are centered. Again, no roll if the video output is not connected.

Would greatly appreciate any advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Handycam CCD-V30 Vertical Roll Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Handycam CCD-V30 Vertical Roll Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have never heard of Vid-roll..??
by castingRod47 / April 11, 2007 8:33 PM PDT

Are you sure you DID NOT actually record what your seeing..??
If you use High Speed Recording setting/you will get what appears to be a ROLL..depending on the emitting light of the subject..
You seem to be saying that you can VIEW your Video File on the CamCorder SCREEN..
But its Analog OUT connector places this ROLL onto your TV-set..
The CAMCORDER/shows a perfect video..??
But the TV-set offers a faulty picture..??
I'm confused.

Collapse -
Rolling picture
by ptaluc / April 11, 2007 11:14 PM PDT

Thanks very much for your reply and sorry for any confusion. When playing back recorded videos they play fine when the video output connector is not connected to another device. As soon as it is the picture starts to roll. I have about 20 or so tapes recorded which play back fine if the video output connector is not connected to anything. Previously there was no problem in playing back videos on a TV, so it is not the recorded tapes. I now simply want to transfer the tapes to DVD, which I can do if I can get the camera to stop rolling when the video output is connected. Hope that is clearer.

Collapse -
are you trying to play back
by boya84 / April 12, 2007 2:58 AM PDT

a PAL camera on a NTSC TV?

Collapse -
Sony Handycam
by ptaluc / April 12, 2007 6:50 AM PDT

Yes, it always worked fine. It works on both formats. I used it in Hong Kong for several years and also in the US, playing back on tv's in both places. The problem is only the rolling, which only occurs when the video output connector is connected to another device. Previously this did not occur. Unfortunately, I cannot find any other way to play back recorded Sony Video 8 (mini) tapes.

Collapse -
The rolling you are describing seems classic
by boya84 / April 12, 2007 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony Handycam

PAL (source)-NTSC (display) incompatibility. Why this apparently worked before is unknown unless the TVs used previously were either PAL TVs or some sort of PAL-M TV attributed to Brazil or some sort of PAL-compatible set.

I can't find any documentation on the model you are using, so I can't see if there might be another way to do what you want to do...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.