TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony Grand Wega LCD vs. Samsung DLP

by dukelover79 / July 7, 2004 1:28 AM PDT

Ok, here's the deal: I'm getting a new TV. I currently have a 27" Sony, which I love, but it's time for me to get a "real" TV. The problem is that I'm stuck between the Sony Grand Wega Rear-Projection LCD and the Samsung Rear-Projection DLP. I've read a ton of reviews, articles, and listened to sales guys? pitch me on both TV's. They both sound awesome and I can get either one for relatively the same price. The reason I narrowed it down to these two is because of the no burn-in factor and I've seen these two in person and they look fabulous (both picture and style). This TV will be used primarily for home theater and regular TV watching. No video games. I want a TV that will make me feel like I am in the movie theater. Can anyone offer any advice? Feel free to email me as well:

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Grand Wega LCD vs. Samsung DLP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Grand Wega LCD vs. Samsung DLP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sony Grand Wega LCD vs. Samsung DLP
by mmccarvi / November 3, 2004 9:44 AM PST

Went through same comparison, same two tv's for about a week and then today decided to go with the Sony, only because I figured I was happy with my last Sony 32 " so may as well stay with a winner, other than that it was pretty much a toss up.

Collapse -
Re: Sony Grand Wega LCD vs. Samsung DLP
by Eduardo Duran Jr / November 10, 2004 2:28 PM PST

We bought the Sony LCD Grand Wega XBR model last November. The projection lamp has burned out twice. Sony replaced the first one free of charge, but I'm having to buy the second replacement at $200. Hope you have better luck.

Collapse -
im in the same situation
by lilneel12 / December 30, 2004 3:30 AM PST

i am stuck b/w the same two tv's and im trying to figure out which one's lamp will last longer, since this tv will be used a lot.

Collapse -
Yeah - responded to your post
by dukelover79 / December 30, 2004 4:31 AM PST

I saw your post and responded, sorry I couldn't be of more help. I watch my TV like a normal person so I have 3-4 years before I need to replace the bulb. What are you going to be doing that will constantly use the bulb? You might want to consider CRT over DLP/LCD if you are using it that much.

Collapse -
still not sure
by lilneel12 / December 30, 2004 12:14 PM PST

just basic tv watching, but i really do not want to go with crt.

Collapse -
Just basic should be fine
by dukelover79 / December 30, 2004 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: still not sure

If you're just using the TV for basic TV watching, the bulb should last a good long time. I only use my Samsung for basic TV watching and DVD's. I work all day during the week and watch a normal amount of stuff on the weekend. So if you're like that, you shouldn't have any burn-outs for a few years.

Collapse -
by mex_storm / February 21, 2005 12:56 AM PST

I bought the 42 inch grand wega this summer and it has been broken more often than it has been working. The first bulb went out after a couple of months. The second bulb went out after a couple of weeks and the third bulb blew after a couple of days. I bought the 4 year warantee (thank god) but it still is painful because Best Buy has to come to your house every time there is an issue. After 3 bulbs they tried to replace the entire bulb mechanism....which still did not fix it. Finally, they have admitted that my TV is junk and are replacing it. This after about 7 seperate visits from the Service guy....and you know how enjoyable it is sitting around for the 3 hour window that they provide you THE MORNING OF THE SERVICE. I couldn't even tell my job whether I needed the morning or the afternoon off....I had to wait until 9am to find out what time the service guy was going to show up that day. Such a hassel.....I cannot believe I spent $2500 for this.

Collapse -
by tvlegnd / February 21, 2005 3:02 PM PST

I purchased the 50" Sony (655 series) a few months ago. Truly spectacular. My biggest consideration was that the new Sonys (655 series) have a built-in HDTV tuner. The Samsungs that were available did not have the HDTV off-air tuner. If you are using the set off of cable, there is no difference.

Our set is in very regular use (5 hours a day). Not a single problem.

In all fairness, I tend to lean toward Sony based on my
experience with their products. The Samsung is also a quality product, but everything being equal, I prefer the brand name.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?