TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony Grand wega KDF-42WE655/FAN

by mdj / October 30, 2004 9:35 AM PDT

Need a new TV. Hitachi 46 inch after 15 years has convergence problem cannot get parts. So use to a big screen hard to change. Was thinking of the sony but not sure on LCD and a fan going etc??? Any ideas

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Grand wega KDF-42WE655/FAN
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Grand wega KDF-42WE655/FAN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sony Grand wega KDF-42WE655/FAN
by wruss / October 31, 2004 9:44 AM PST

I have looked at of number of TVs in the last few weeks and I keep coming back to the Sony KDF-42WE655. I am infatuated with DLP technology and keep trying to eliminate this TV from my choices. But, as I said, I keep coming back to it. It is a very good set. Good picture, features and design. Better picture than any DLP under 50". No fuzzy outlines or rainbows.

Collapse -
by mdj / October 31, 2004 10:27 PM PST

Thats funny I have researched everything and keep coming back to the same but in the 50 inch version and the 55 inch version. I doubt any TV is perfect if it was it would probably double in price.

Collapse -
by jrtmouse / November 1, 2004 11:26 PM PST

I'd have to concur with ya'll. When looking at the TVs in Fry's, Circuit City, and Best Buy, this particular TV caught my eyes every time. In my opinion, I believe it to have one of the better pictures out there! After reading the review on CNet on the 50" KDF, I became a little discouraged as they only gave it a 7.6. Taking all things into consideration, I checked to see what their highest rated TV was at this point in time, the Mitsubishi. Even then, they only gave it an 8.1...and I've never seen a Mitsu picture that I liked.

So, I'm sticking to what my first impressions of the Sony KDF/655 are...an excellent picture! Now I just need to decide whether I want to spend the extra money on a 50"!

Good luck guys!

Collapse -
by mdj / November 2, 2004 9:54 PM PST

I agree with you about Mitsubishi. I never cared for them.I will be going with the sony KDF- either the 50 which is just silver around it or the 55 inch with black around it. Cnet does have harsh reviews for the sony. They gave the hitachi 50 higher marks when i saw them side by side and feel the color is better on the Sony. So Be it

Collapse -
by mmccarvi / November 3, 2004 9:24 AM PST

Well, I just decided to stop flip flopping and ordered the KDF-50WE655 which will arrive Friday. There is a lot of good stuff out there but I decided that I was happy with my last SONY 32" which is still going strong after about 8 years so I might as well stay with a winner. Tired of shopping around, every day I was switching from DLP to LCD to Plazma, and figured this was a value compromise that I couldn't go too far wrong with. They did have some tempting 42plazmas but they were a few hundred more and size does matter.

Collapse -
by jrtmouse / November 3, 2004 11:23 PM PST

Oh goody!

mmccarvi, where did you end up purchasing it? If it's not to much trouble, would you keep us (me) posted as to the condition in which it was shipped and if you experience any problems?

I'm pretty sure I've decided on this TV as well, just not sure what size yet.

Collapse -
by mdj / November 5, 2004 8:17 PM PST

Well i just ordered the Sony KDF-55XS955. Got a great price from an authorized on line dealer. MAKE sure its authorized. Its basically the same as the 42,50 55 KDFwe655 series. Casing is different better stereo. Got it at the same price I would have paid for the KDF-55WE655. Hope it works out. And Yes i was getting sick of comparing and reading reviews and running to stores. So just did it

Collapse -
by poolandgolf / November 9, 2004 4:37 AM PST

I'm happy to find so many other people that have traversed the same path. I have been floundering since June but last week decided on the 42WE655. It arrived Thursday and thought I had a problem right out the box. Color wasn't right. Finally connected to another input and things were great. Back to original input and things still great. I had a 37" Philips Plasma prior but sent it back because it did not have features that were advertised. Glad I did. I think HIDEF is equivilent and the SD is better on the Sony.

Bought mine at Sears.

Collapse -
kdf-60xs955/kdf-60wf655
by jeroethel / January 14, 2005 2:18 PM PST

thanks for your comments. I have been going crazy trying to figure out the differences between the xs955 series and the wf655 series. Other than the 955 costs $400 more, they seem the same. Am I missing something?

Collapse -
differences
by mdj / January 15, 2005 2:23 AM PST

The design is different, Speakers are incased in silver and stick out more. away from the TV about 2 inches. Speakers are a spec better. Alot of the difference is cosmetic

Collapse -
by pchelandenny / November 6, 2004 8:43 AM PST

Hi:

Here is another flip flopper. I think by the time I finally get around to taking the plunge, my kids will be grown up!. I keep coming back to the Sony's even though I was just about 95% sold on the Samsung DLP. Please let me know how things go with your new Sony.

Paul

Collapse -
by jrtmouse / November 15, 2004 5:05 AM PST

Purchased the KDF-50WE655 this weekend from OneCall.com. The TV is backordered but estimate to have it on my doorstep in the next 2-3 weeks. I will definitely let ya'll know how it goes.

Collapse -
sony KDF-55xs955
by mdj / November 20, 2004 8:44 AM PST

Received my Sony definitely a step up from my temporary 20 inch. what an awesome Tv have basic cable and it seems I;m getting digital. Picture is fantastic not even using a cablecard nor HDTV box yet need to investigate further. I hope this TV maintains its quality. Stand is definitely necessary that is made for it

Collapse -
Re: sony KDF-55xs955
by Duser / November 21, 2004 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: sony KDF-55xs955

I to was doing the flip flop between DLP and LCD. After reading about a lot of problems with the Samsung DLP's. I pulled the trigger and bought the 42'' version of this model. I have to admit I am impressed, I have a very bright room and the picture is still very clear. I'm still running on analog cable and the picture is great, digital/HD is coming tomorrow. I bought it at Curcit City, they have a 30 day full refund policy so if I don't like it, it's going back.

Collapse -
by mdj / November 21, 2004 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re: sony KDF-55xs955

I'm running on analog cable as well and picture looks great. It actually picks up HD without the box, has built in tuner. May get cable card not sure yet

Collapse -
by JE21 / November 30, 2004 3:48 AM PST

Thanks for posting the info on the Sony. I am currently looking for a 50+" HDTV and I keep coming back to the Sony. I think after reading this post, my mind is made up. Now just gotta talk the wifey into it.

Collapse -
by Train / November 30, 2004 5:24 AM PST

That seems to be the hardest part (talking the wife into it) for me. I have had my eyes on the 42" for about a year...then they come out with the new and improved 42" and i jsut keep coming back to it. Not sure if I am partial to the Sony name or what. I have had people tell me that the Hitachi is better, but when I looked at the Sony and the Hitachi side by side, I liked the Sony. There was no glare because they don't have a glass cover over the screen. I never understood why anyone would want that piece of glass rather than just a bare screen (protection?). Either way, the Hitachi (from what I can see) comes in 50" or larger which is too big. Hope to be able to talk the wife into it myself.

Collapse -
hitachi has issues
by woodt / January 25, 2005 12:09 AM PST

The reviews are not too good for the hitachi. It is a sharp looking tv but there are issues. The glass has a wicked glare and I've read that a lot of have spots behind the glass. And there are greenish colors in the corners(saw this at the store). It is also a lot more than the sony. I'll most likley pull the trigger on the 50in since the wife gave the ok(gotta act fast when that happens). Abes of maine has the 50 for 2200. If I can pricematch at sears with 10% off on cc, I'm in.

Collapse -
by jrtmouse / December 3, 2004 2:35 AM PST

Ok people. I've had my TV for a few days now. I have DISH. I tried using the SVideo tp connect the PVR to the TV and while the colors were more vibrant, the picture was way too pixelated and grainy. I have settled for the old school analog connection for a much smoother and less grainier picture. I still don't believe that the picture is as good as what I saw in the stores. I've reduced the sharpness quite a bit.
I'm going to try and find an updated AVIA calibrator disc as the one I have is an older version. I'm not sure if those specs are still useable for RPTVs.

Have ya'll noticed the same graininess/pixelation on your TVs?

Collapse -
by mdj / December 3, 2004 2:54 AM PST

Not really i do notice a slight blurriness in parts of the picture when in the wide screen mode and other full modes. I have basic standard cable up to 80 channels. Do feel geeting digital will not help things as that is mainly to get other channels etc. I did call sony about a few things. In order to adjust the TV using other settings under video menu (detail enhancer etc you need to put the picture setting to "PRO" since standard and vivid are factory set. I told them that was eliminated from the manual. Is the pixelation a blur issue or coming apart issue as i see sometimes under HDTV programming??? I do feel each signal is different. Another thing i was told to do was put my cable to VHF/UHF and auto program it. Though i will not get HDTV with that. Have not done it yet, may try sat when i have the time, would be curious to see the difference. Now i do not have the dish that may be a whole diff ballgame? There is also a clarity and reality mode you can fiddle with. Really go through the manual.

Collapse -
by jrtmouse / November 30, 2004 7:56 AM PST

I just received my KDF-50WE655 earlier today!!!! I love it! Although I think I could have easily settled for the 42" because the 50" has now taken over my living room! Oh well. I have it. I'm glad I purchased this TV. Now I'll be looking into Dish HDTV!

Thanks guys for the suggestions and comments!

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?