TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony: Expensive BUT Worth Every Dime!!

by EXCON / February 15, 2007 12:25 AM PST

I gotta tell you that this is one FIRST CLASS company. I bought a 70 Grand Wega in 2003 and after owning it for 3 1/2 years I had a problem with the set. It wasn't anything major but I had a service company look at the TV. Well the door that covers the lamp was melting from the heat of the bulB. My wife freaked out and thought it was going to burn the house down.
I called Sony and I will actually become the
PROUD NEW OWNER OF A KDSR70XBR2 for 800 BUCKS!! Now thats what I call a GREAT COMPANY. I can't believe that I will have one of the finest TV's on the market for a lousy $800.00! The set I own now is also a fantastic TV but Sony has made ALOT of improvements over the last few years. People constantly complain about the cost of Sony but frankly the quality of their products and the support provided certainly justifies the extra expense for me. This KDSR70XBR2 looks like its probably the finest TV on the market today for under $10,000.00. Its going to be a LONG WEEK but I can't wait to hook up this awesome piece of equipment! I learned a long time ago thats its not worth buying low budget components, particularly a TV.
THANKS SONY!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony: Expensive BUT Worth Every Dime!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony: Expensive BUT Worth Every Dime!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MR EXCON MORE INFO ON YOUR 70" Sony Please
by stewart norrie / February 15, 2007 4:32 AM PST

A year ago I checked out a Demo Sony 70" on display and really wanted a sony in a 70" + screen size . But the picture was so dim and out of fucos that I passed it buy I also noted that Sony dropped the 70" model. Anyway I bought a Toshiba 72HM195 d.l.p. set and I love it tons of brightness even in low lamp power But I have often wondered if that Sony I saw might have been defective, anyway what is the picture quality of your 70" beast? and how brite is it. In closing I just got my new Sony blue ray player and talk about a awsome picture should look I max on your Sony ha ha steweee

Collapse -
Sony 70 Inch
by EXCON / February 15, 2007 5:41 AM PST

I have yet to get this TV but I know that the new flagship model uses a 180 watt bulb VS a 120 watt that the KDS60A2000 uses. CNET thought the KDS60A2000 was very bright so the 180 watt bulb must be overkill. Certainly sounds like you may have seen a Sony that was not set up properly or simply a lemon since even my 2003 model provides an outstanding image compared to my 2007 Panasonic 600 series plasma. These new Sony R70XBR2 TV's truly appear to be the TV to beat. In addition to an extremely powerful and bright display this set also offers more bells and whistles than you could ever possibly use. CNETS review of the 60 inch model pretty much says it all since they basically could not find anything to ***** about. There is only one negative aspect of this TV: PRICE. Sony makes one fantastic 70 inch television!

Collapse -
EXCON THANKS
by stewart norrie / February 15, 2007 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Sony 70 Inch

But I think we are both happy The coolest thing about a huge screen size is the movie theater experience anything smaller just looks like a tiny t.v. + you dont have to squint youe eyes to see the small detila its in your face ha ha steweee

Collapse -
Stewee, a year ago, Sony didn't have the current XBR2 model.
by Dan Filice / February 16, 2007 2:37 AM PST

The latest XBR2 LCD Sony's are way different than what they had last year. Not sure what model you were looking at. I am not a fan of the older Sony RPTV sets. My sister-in-law has one and my old Toshiba RPTV has a much better picture. But for the current sets, if I had to buy a new TV, I'd probably buy the SXRD because I can't get anything larger than a 50", but the XBR2/3 sets look awesome too.

Collapse -
Happy for you that Sony treated you so well
by NM_Bill / February 15, 2007 8:56 AM PST

After many Sony products over the years I now am annoyed at things like their proprietary stuff. I thought I had a fine XBR CRT of theirs, but it died at just 4 years & repair deemed it not worth repair.

Again, glad Sony aced out for you. Enjoy.

Collapse -
You Can Never Go Back
by EXCON / February 15, 2007 9:07 PM PST

Once you experience a 70 inch TV its almost impossible to be happy with anything else. I was offered a 60 inch XBR2 for FREE yet I chose to pay the 800 bucks and get the 70 inch. Hell when I go in the bedroom and look at the 42 inch Panasonic it looks TINY.
Playing XBOX on a 70 inch is truly an experience with 5.1 surround. Some of the better games offer such superior audio that you truly feel as if you are PART OF A MOVIE!!

Collapse -
Pround SXRD owner
by bevillan / February 15, 2007 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: You Can Never Go Back

I bought a 50" SXRD in September and love it. Best PQ among the rear projection TVs out of the major brands for sure. Although, Consumer Reports have recently rated Toshiba DLPs as being the best DLP brand, so give them a look.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!