Phones forum

General discussion

sony ericsson s500...yes or no

by chop924 / August 21, 2007 6:51 AM PDT

ive been looking at this phone...might buy it but there are no reviews for it anywhere. can anyone give me some insight as to whether it is worth it? pros/cons?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sony ericsson s500...yes or no
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sony ericsson s500...yes or no
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No. Flawed model
by LannyM / August 22, 2007 8:08 AM PDT

S500i (Green) reportedly has problems (cracked keys), after 2 or 3 weeks of use. Yellow phones apparently are OK. All major companies, from time to time, probably have a model that is flawed. Nokia N76 is another one. It is *not* good, to be the first one on your block, with something that is brand new in the marketplace. Wait, read the reviews and owner comments and then buy something that's popular, so the service technician will have experience with the model. My wife and I both carry Sony Ericsson (primary network) and Nokia (backup network) phones. My 2 cents. Good luck with your decision!

Collapse -
by chop924 / August 22, 2007 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: No. Flawed model

awesome. i just bought the s500 green phone last night. what do you mean by "cracked keys"? any other model phones you can recommend that are similar to the s500?

Collapse -
Can you exchange it for another model or a Yellow phone?
by LannyM / August 23, 2007 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: really?

Hello: I normally would *not* post a link to another web site here. However, I believe you are headed for trouble, with the phone you just bought. Suggest you read the articles about Production Faults and also the article about the Nokia N76. If possible, exchange it for another model, ASAP, or, a Yellow phone. Below is the link. My wife and I (and 2 of her relatives and 2 of our neighbors) have Sony Ericsson W300i Walkman phones and they are very good. The only problem we have seen is that my wife's phone is not as good as getting a signal, so sometimes my phone has a signal, when her phone does not and the phones are in the same place. Both phones are on the same GSM network. My wife got her W300i in September 2006 and I got mine in December 2006, so they have been in use for awhile. The display is very hard to read, in direct sunlight, but that is typical of many, many cell phone models. The W300i has a VGA camera, very basic, but, better than no camera. The music in the W300i is wonderful. Good luck! Lanny

"The situation with the Sony Ericsson S500i buttons had been hard to foresee - it was just recently when we learned that the green paint reacted with the adhesive used for sticking the buttons onto the casing. This way, because of the chemical reaction the base of the keys simply dissolved. At the same time, the yellow edition is free of such defects."

Collapse -
oh well...
by chop924 / August 23, 2007 8:13 AM PDT

alright...well thank you for your input. but are the cracked keys the only thing thats wrong with the phone? from the pictures, i figure if all my keys crack the way the ones in the pictures cracked, it would look pretty uniform throughout...wouldnt bother me too much. i mean the keys will still work right?

if all thats wrong with the phone are the cracked keys then thats not too bad. as long as the phone works well then im happy. any thoughts?

Collapse -
Not sure if it will work, if the keys crack
by LannyM / August 23, 2007 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: oh well...

I'm not sure, if the keys on your new Green S.E. phone crack, if you will be able to use it or not. I did notice that there is a difference in the model number of your phone and the one's discussed in the article. If you are very *LUCKY*, the paint used in your phone is not destructive, like the paint on the phones in the article. If you like the phone, I would use it very heavily, during these first few weeks and if the keys crack, take it in and exchange it for a Yellow one or a different model.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?